Do u think kids should follow/be the same religion as their parent(s) as long as they live "under their parent's roof" ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it. ~ Proverbs 22:6

^^ I hear this one a lot. It's interesting to me that most of the atheists I know, including myself, came from Christian families.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• May-20, your logic is flawed.
    Teaching my child how to be responsible and contributing human being to this earth is part of my job. However, the best lesson is being an example for them.
    As far as their spiritual selves....again, my example is the best teaching tool I can give them. I cannot force them to believe as I do because it is what is best for ME. That would be selfish of me. Allowing them the freedom to experience life, and see how I interact with the world, will help guide them. As well as my exposing them to different ideas...but ultimately their spiritual path is theirs to walk alone.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• How old are we talking? I take my kids to Mass with me every week because they are too young to stay home alone. I also promised that I would raise them in the Catholic faith when I had them baptized. As they get older, I expect them to make their own decisions regarding their faith. A teenager who says they don't wish to attend Mass will not be forced and I will not stand in their way if they wish to attend services of another faith or wish to stop attending services altogether.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 12:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't think so. Even if a parent hopes his or her child chooses to follow a certain faith, forcing one to do so really doesn't count anyway right? Your kid isn't REALLY a Christian/Buddhist/Pagan/Atheist if you are demanding they say they are. That's not really them practicing or believing a certain way...it's them pretending they do. I think we believe what we believe. You can talk to someone about religion, but you can't force them to believe or have faith in that religion.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 12:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that's something each parent has to decide for themselves. I can't force other parents to expose their children to other ways of belief. But I can decide that my children will be educated thoroughly on all of their options, exposed to as much as I am able to expose them to, and given the freedom to follow whatever path resonates most with them. While I would love for them to see the beauty in all faiths, I will be happy with whatever they choose (if anything at all) as long as they make informed decisions, understand what they are accepting (if anything) as well as what they are rejecting, and are respectful, tolerant, compassionate people. I care more about the attitude of loving kindness and the passion to question and think things through for themselves, the process of finding their paths, than I care what paths they choose.

They is hypothetical, lol, we only have one son, but plan on having more children someday..
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No. Beliefs are a personal thing. My goal is to raise children who can think for themselves. Trying to tell them what to think and what to believe is the opposite of that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• you can't force a religion or belief on someone, even a child. anyone old and of sound-mind to know they need to 'go potty', is pretty much old enough to know whether they believe something or not. can you force them to attend with you? yes, up to a certain age..and even then, if you're determined, probably.
    but you cannot make someone believe or adhere to a religion if they do not. impossible.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

....most Pagans I know, too.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No. I don't think children should be expected or even encouraged to follow any religion until they are of an age where they can make their own decisions on such matters.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011