PLEASE HELP why is my milk supply deminishing.

i am taking fenuegreek, and drinking my mothers milk, and drinking alot of water. aslo eating great.
why would my milk be deminishing. i am only getting like 1/4 an ounce when i pump.
help please

mom31788

Asked by mom31788 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't mean your supply is diminishing. The baby can get it out when he nurses.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• A pump is a poor example of how much you are producing.

Is baby getting enough wet diapers a day? That is the only accurate way to determine if your supply is getting low.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• So my daughter is getting the milk when she eats? how will i have milk put up for when her grandmother keeps her saturday night.? i need help im getting so worried
    mom31788

Comment by mom31788 (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• she has about five wet diapers a day
    mom31788

Comment by mom31788 (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Your milk supply is probably fine. If you need to boost your supply call your doctor and ask them how you can do it. When I breastfed and needed milk bc we were going out my dr had me breastfeed more often, use both breasts and not time my children. They also advised me to use the breastpump more and it would increase my supply bc my body would think the baby was eating more then it was. My dr even let me have a glass of wine or a beer which also increases the supply BUT you cannot feed the baby that milk until you have expressed the first of it out and wait 3 hours to feed the baby breastmilk. You can only have ONE though, with no more then 8% alcohol. And you cant do it everyday.

Answer by gemgem at 12:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You may need to supplement with formula. I did at points in time for that same reason.

She should be getting 5-6 wet diapers every 24 hours. Now, WET does not mean soaking. It means damp. Their bladders are not even close to the size of a golf ball.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Some women just don't respond to the pump. Like the other ladies have said, if she is having enough wet diapers, she is getting enough.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 12:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I never got much out with a pump, but I successfully breastfed 4 kids for a year and my 5th for six month. Often I had to supplement with formula in a bottle for the times I went out.

Answer by missanc at 1:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• gemgem...my lactation consultant recommended that I drink 1 beer a day. The only time you have to wait is when you actually feel the effects of the alcohol.

You never have to pump and dump, you just cannot nurse when you feel the alcohol. 1 beer won't cause that in most women if drank over the course of an hour.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Pump the opposite breast when she is nursing first thing in the morning. This will give you the most output. Even doing this I used to have to pump 2-3 days in a row to get enough to go out for a few hours. Some just don't respond well to a pump. It may be moot anyway, she may not take the bottle and just wait for you to get home. :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011