Why does my 2 year old refuse to potty

my son cries and screams when i take him to the potty how can i get him to over come this

mom31788

Asked by mom31788 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He's not ready.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I would like to hope for all mom's sake that your situation is a phase. I'm semi-training my 2 year old and he tells me when he wants to use the potty. sometimes he uses the big one and sometimes his training potty. I'm trying to make it his choice so he is happy about it. Soon I will have to ramp it up a bit but I hope he continues to be enthusiastic about using the potty.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 12:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• why would he not be ready, he cries when he has a wet diaper on but he acts afraid of the potty and says ewww
    mom31788

Comment by mom31788 (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He's so not ready, that's why!!! He's on his way to being ready... but just not quite there yet!!!!!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no need for you to tell me hes not ready when he loves to pee out side but wont pee in a dang potty,
    mom31788

Comment by mom31788 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It sounds to me like you're pushing him too much and he's afraid of getting in trouble.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• This may not be what you want to hear, but I would just back off for a month or two. It just sounds like he is not ready yet.
    cookincat743

Answer by cookincat743 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Don't hate b/c you don't like the answer... do the research... 1000 of experts will say the same thing. Just b/c you don't want to hear it doesn't make it any less right!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I started potty training my son at 2, he was 4 by the time we got him out of diapers/pull-ups. I tried to start my daughter on the potty training road at 2 as well, and had to back off and wait until she was closer to 3 because she would do what your boy is doing. I COULD NOT sit and listen to her scream and cry and throw fits every time I said it was time to go potty. I backed off and waited until she was closer to 3 and she "got it" all in about a week, day and night accident free.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• google "toilet training readiness" and you'll see some useful links
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011