Cloth Baby Wipes

I just some G-Diapers and am wanting to completely switch to cloth diapering. I've decided that I want to use baby wash cloths as the actual wipes. Here are my questions:

What is the most natural recipe to use for cloth wipes?

What is the most convenient way to use cloth wipes?

Is it bad to submerge the cloth wipes in the recipe in a baby wipes tub?

Is it better to just have cloth wipes and a spray bottle of the solution instead of in the tub?

I want to take my cloth wipes with me when I go out. I have a travel wipes case. If I do submerge the wipes, can I just leave the wipes in the case without worry of molding? Or do I need to change out the water and solution every time I get back home?

MommyBird388

Asked by MommyBird388 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I personally only soak about 5 wipes at a time in fresh solution every day to avoid any mold or bacterial growth, though tea tree oil can help stifle that. I just use California Baby body wash/shampoo with warm water. I always keep a spray bottle of that handy as well.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have been doing this for a year. I found the best way is to use a spray bottle and spray the wipe when you are ready to use it. I use a small spray bottle and add a few drops of baby oil and a small squirt of baby lotion and swirl it up really good. I make new mixture at least once a week so it doesnt get moldy, it works great.
    here is a link to show you how to fold the washcloths so they will "pop-up" in the wipe container just like disposables do, it works great!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHEBiy-8Yx0
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 3:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have a Tupperware container that I just put some water and a few drops of lavender and chamomile essential oil in. I use wash cloths. They are wet but not dripping. Somewhere between damp and wet.

I have a little Tupperware container for the diaper bag.

Lavender prevents mildew. But I just make up a batch for 2-3 days at a time. They don't go bad.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I use one of the squirt bottles the hospital gave me and have it full of just plain old water. Then when I need to use a wipe, I squirt the wipe and get it wet then. I use disposable wipes when I am away from the house.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011