What is Ash Wednesday? What does it mean?

Please do not answer "Google it" as I want to have a PERSON's perspective here.

Please do not answer using wikipedia as a source. They are so unreliable that even colleges won't accept them as being as a legitimate source;

Please do not answer if you are not Christian AND do not respect other peoples' faiths.

ABSOLUTELY NO BASHING ANYONE or you will be reported.

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would have given you a well thought out, meaningful answer, but all of your many conditions are a bit offensive.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The ashes on the forehead is a sign of repentance.

But I'm not Christian, is it okay that I answered?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• SB that's a crock. I have 3 requests besides the no bashing. That is not "many" it is a few. I don't think that by me stating specifically what I am looking for is in any way offensive - try not to take things so personal. I probably wouldn't have gotten anything out of your supposed "well thought out" answer anyway.
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Again, I dont mind non Christians answering - I just don't want disrespectful answers from non Christians toward the Christian faith. I don't think that asking those who are from other faiths respect another faith is too much to ask, is it? I respect ALL faiths and walks of life - as I feel my God does too. God is not a respecter of persons...I won't be either. i don't judge because I believe those who judge will be judged. Thank you for answering, CraftingMama
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Ash Wednesday is the beginning of Lent. The palm leaves from last years Palm Sunday are burned and the ashes are blessed.   during mass you can come up, the priest dips his thumb in the ashes and makes the sign of the cross on your forehead. Easter is the holiest holiday of the christian church and Lent is a time Catholics use to prepare for Easter. Ash Wednesday is the beginning of this, it's a time of self reflection.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• thank you Ryansmom001!!
    Babylove76

Comment by Babylove76 (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• This is sooo funny as I had somehow never been exposed to the practice of smudging ash on the forehead on Ash Wednedsday. Last year I was at a children's hospital run by Methodists and EVERYONE had a smudge on his/her forehead. I finally asked a lady on the elevator what that was all about.. She was really nice and explained it very simply, as RyansMom did.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• In the Roman Catholic Church, Ash Wednesday is the first day of Lent, the season of preparation for the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. Ash Wednesday falls on March 9, 2011.
    CloverE

Answer by CloverE at 10:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011