If you believe in spanking, do you spank in public?

If you spank in public, has anybody every said anything to you about it? If not, how do you handle it when your kids are bad and other people are around?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well if I am out in public I am going to take my kid to the bathroom if it comes to that! But my mom has always done that with my brother and I if we did something wrong she would take us to the bathroom not do it infront of everyone, I dont believe in the spanking infront of everyone because it is no one's business but your own!! but that is my opinion
    BabyMommaPelt

Answer by BabyMommaPelt at 1:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There are cameras in the bathroom now too though especially big stores like walmart, pennys, etc.

Answer by gemgem at 1:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• if you are just swatting them on the hand or butt as discipline, why is it necessary to even worry about hidden cameras/watchful hawk eyes? there is a difference between abuse and spanking. if your child is doing something wrong i see no problem with reprimanding them for it then and there. the same way a child would be immediately placed in time-out. you cant let it go unwarranted and expect them to know why theyre being punished if you wait til you get home. i find it sad that parents have to actually worry now about getting in trouble for public spanking. not that i have personally ever done it but i also do not use spanking as discipline.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• open handed spanking on the butt isn't illegal so when my kids were younger they would get a smack on the butt in public if it was needed. I didn't bother with taking them to a bathroom nor did I care what other people thought(still don't) My kids are 12, 10, 7 and 5 and I haven't had to spank any of them in public for years because they know what happens if they don't listen. They are completely different in public than at home though....lol

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yep. I have actually been complimented for it. Where I live spanking isn't against the law so I'm not afraid to do it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I do spank. If done in public it would be done discreetly and it there has been no reason yet to do so with any of my kids.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There are cameras in the bathroom now too though especially big stores like walmart, pennys, etc

I would hope not because that's incredibly illegal, if there's a camera in your walmart's bathroom you need to be notifying the authorities, because I highly doubt walmart put it there.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• yes because if you wait to get home there little minds have already forgotten why they are in trouble
    pignmonkeysmom

Answer by pignmonkeysmom at 2:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i only spank when all else fails or if they offence he could die from.... i have spanked once in public and was commended by the other moms in the area (it was a swimming lake) for not letting my 2 yr old get over on me - he is now 5 and hasnt been spanked in over a year but you gotta do what you gotta do - as long as you arent abusing them - no one should say boo... and if they do - who cares - it is for your child's sake and you should be firm in your discipline model.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If my child did something like run for the road or something that could have hurt them then yes I wouldn't be afraid to spank in public. That is a matter of my child's safety.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 6:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2011