I'm have temporary custody of my nephew(5) and Niece(4), they have a terrible biting problem. I need help to break them so that my 10month old son doesn't develop this habit.any suggestions?

They both act as though they are teething. They chew on all the toys and anything else they touch; clothing, paper..etc. They have been bounced around quit a bit and they are starting to become used to the stable environment that they have with me.

HaidensMom830

Asked by HaidensMom830 at 11:19 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This behavior problem seems to be a sort of regression, probably the result of not having much stability until now. Most children do this but as early toddlers. I would talk with a child psychologist about it, preferably one who knows more about early childhood.

Behavior modification requires you to be ontop of them about it. As soon as you see them doing it or about to do it you stop them. Take the toy away if you have to (how long is up to you). Try to talk to them about why it's wrong (they're young but if you keep it simple they'll understand).

Good luck hon!
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 11:23 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I had a similar problem with my daughter biting. Every time she bit someone i told them to lightly very lightly bit her back. Eventually she stopped she didnt like it.
    mommyof20507

Answer by mommyof20507 at 8:19 PM on Jul. 8, 2008