Should I buy a careseat for my niece?

So I am baby-sitting for my lil niece today, because her mommy is having BP issues with her latest pregnancy. I noticed that they are still using her infant seat for her...she is over 18 months old, and I am quite sure she needs to be in a convertible car-seat. I know money is tight for them right now, and we have a little extra to spare, so I am thinking about going to buy her a new one today. Just as a gift, because I know things add up when you have multiple kids...and i really want her to be safe. BUT I don't want to be rude...would you be offended?

nkkk07

Asked by nkkk07 at 1:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• I think that would be very thoughtful of you!! Do it - just say that you saw it on sale and thought she may be able to use it. :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that's really thoughtful, and I would just tell them that it looked like they could use one, especially with a new baby coming that will need the infant seat.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• how much does the child weigh? My DD didnt hit the weight limit until she was 22 mo. Has she outgrown it?
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• How much does she weigh? What is her height? Money issues or not, if she has outgrown that seat, they are putting her in DANGER. It is very sweet of you to offer as well. You can get a Cosco seat at Wal Mart for $50.
    Anonymous

• I think that would be really sweet.
    Although I know a few people that would be offended and maybe you should just ask if you could. Maybe be like I found the best car seat on sale and I really wanna buy it for her, would that be ok? Maybe something like that.
    ModernMommie

Answer by ModernMommie at 1:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Man I wish people cared that much and had the money to spare to actually do something that nice. Go for it, I'm sure they will appreciate it.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 1:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If you can! That would be Wonderful, Caring & Kind! How hard are they to afford!! I know we got a used one from my in law's. Since I had No family at all. My in law's paid 50 cents for it and each time I took a corner it and my DD fell over! I so needed things. But never had a Baby shower or anything new. Now my DD's are married. And my youngest DD has 3 Young Ones. 1,3 & 5. I know if they ever get anything . They are so grateful. Since here we are all Jobless! So you do what you feel you can afford and how you need them. I'd be Excited if I were them, to know you care so much! Good luck to all! Happy Valentines day!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't think its rude but like PP said she might not have outgrown it yet.

But if they are short on cash and have a new baby coming it would be a way to buy it anyway. She will need the infant seat for the new baby so tell her you did it now so that the toddler doesn't feel like the baby took her seat!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 1:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that's very thoughtful of you!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 1:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I wouldn't be offended at all! If it weren't for random acts of kindness from family I don't know how I would get by sometimes. I don't know your sister, but unless she is really fickle about things like this I would say that she will be elated.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011