baby clothes..

Do I need to wash brand new baby clothes before wearing it?
And do you hand wash or machine?
which detergent do you use?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 9:49 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did- but be careful not to rip off all of the tags as babies can grow pretty fast (and you can't return clothes after they have been washed).
    You do not need to use specialty baby detergent- It is a gimmic. If you want, you can use scent-free and dye-free detergents, as these are less likely to irritate baby's skin (i use whatever liquid detergent is cheepest and haven't had any problems)
    Unless you have a super delicate outfit, you can wash baby's clothes with all other clothes, just be careful of the velcro on bibs- it tends to latch on to everything and destrys towels, shirts, bra fabric, etc. Also, I try no to wash my son's clothes with dishrags... I just think its kind of gross (and I don't use bleach on his stuff- again to avoid irritation). Let me know if you have any other quesitons:)
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:55 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes you need to wash them before they wear them. Look at walmart or target, they have special laundry soap for infants, it is with the laundry detergent. I know one begins with a D but the name escapes me. Mainly because babies' skin is very sensitive and that detergent is safe for their skin.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• you should always wash clothing prior to wearing because they could contain dyes that might irritate the skin.
    for a long time i used all brand baby detergent but now i use dr bronners miracle baby soap in the wash.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 10:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I use the dye free scent free detergent. I do not buy the baby stuff (It's called Dreft). Dreft is really expensive and not necessary, but if you have a new born it's a good idea to steer clear from dyes and fragrance since it could cause a reaction. I also do not use fabric softener on baby's clothes because I worry about a reaction.

Always wash your baby's clothes before s/he wears them. It's a good idea to wash your own too.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:40 PM on Nov. 17, 2008