What do you make for your 5yr old

to take to school for lunch?

sarasmommy777

Asked by sarasmommy777 at 1:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We haven't started kindergarden yet, this fall, but I imagine sending what I normally feed him for lunch at home. Bread, some kind of lunch meat, crackers and a yogurt/fruit. You can make homemade lunchables very easily, just cut up some lunch meat, place crackers in a bag, send some fruit, and a small little treat. We can't do pb&j because he's allergic but we often do jelly sandwiches. He also likes pizza bagels cold, so that could be sent. He likes hot dogs cold. And lots of times if you send leftovers with a note to the teacher they will gladly warm up the leftovers in the teachers lounge for the student. At least that was the case in every school I've worked in. Parents just don't think to ask.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My 6 and 5 year old get lunch at school, however if they brought in their own lunch I'd pack a sandwich of their choosing, a juice box or water (my 5 year old prefers water), and then their choice of either yogurt, apple sauce, fruit cup or sliced fruit.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 1:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son is also starting kindergarten next year. He is so picky. I have no idea what I will send him. Maybe cheese sticks and crackers.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My youngest likes to take yogurt, cheese sandwiches, peanut butter and chocolate sandwiches and that's about it. The school is dairy only (no meat allowed) for reason of keeping it kosher.

My older kids will take tuna, a salad, left over noodles, or anything else left over from dinner that interests them. They also take sandwiches or a yogurt.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 1:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son is four. Here are some things I pack for him: 1. edamame, yogurt, tortilla chips, applesauce, and apples; 2. tuna, crackers, cheddar cheese, canteloupe, and apples; 3. black beans, jack cheese, homemade biscuit, and blueberries. I always include a protein, 1-2 fruits/veg, and a grain. I try to include 0 or 1 dairy items. He used to like peanut butter sandwiches a lot, but now he is in a nut-free classroom and he doesn't like sunbutter as much, so I don't send those very often. For a treat sometimes I will send chicken soup - his teachers are happy to heat it up for him. But most of the time I don't send anything that needs to be heated. Today he got fruit leather in his lunch with a Happy Valentines Day note from me :o)
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• yes my girl starts next September and it is going to be f/t class :(
    she is allergic to PB as well but I don't think its aloud in school period anything peanut
    for sure drink, yogurt, apple, sandwich & granola bar something like that
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• thats sweet felipesmom : )

balaganimma i am surprised you can take peanut butter to your school!
    sarasmommy777

Comment by sarasmommy777 (original poster) at 2:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011