What is it with the attitude of preschoolers?

I enter in this category for help because my 3 year old girls is driving nuts, (I am not kidding, I already made an appointment with the psicologyst), and I find that most of the kids at this age give so much trouble. My little girl seems to be always mad, she fights, yells, the other day she offered me to cut my head and legs! man that scared me to death, she also have told me when she gets mad that she is going to leave me, and that I am going to be alone and crying.
Is there anybody who can answer what is going on in their minds at this age? I mean kids should be adorable!

Walen

Asked by Walen at 10:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't really have an answer for you, but I am in somewhat of the same boat w/ my 3 yr old dd. I am glad to know someone else is having problems too. maybe it will make you feel less alone. my dd has such crazy mood swings and backtalks me at every turn. I don't know how to deal w/ the backtalk, I think I am going to lose my mind. I think there is a lot of fight for independence at this age. She also has a lot of agression issues w/ other kids. I am at a loss most days when she behaves like this. We have more or less stopped going to church because we are mortified by our child's behavior.
    Do you get down on your dd's level and discuss w/ her, her behavior? this does seem to help us. I try (repeatedly) to explain that when she says ugly things or hurts ppl that it makes mommy and daddy SO sad. I hope this helps. I am new here, this is actually my first post. your post hit a chord. I hope things get better for you soon.
    PollyEstherMom

Answer by PollyEstherMom at 11:31 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• it is her way of asserting power. totally common. find ways in life to give her more power and more choices. give her adult chores. have her set the table. DON'T correct it when it is not how you want. let her choose her pajamas, etc.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:46 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I worked with a lot of children who have mental/emotional issues as a professional. From a blurb there is no way to say exactly what is going on. Truthfully you could post all day and that still wouldn't help. You are doing the best thing for you and your family by seeing a professional therapist. Just keep this is mind: when someone is the family is not well it is not a problem with just that one person, it is a whole family issue. It can be very scary when your little girl is threatening to harm you or harm herself. What you do know is that this is not normal behavior (and you are right) and that the usual parenting techniques do not apply to your child. She is more challenging then most children her age.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:06 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• cont..There are things you can do to help her now. 1.) Take care of yourself by making some ME time. Even if it is only for 15 mintues here or there. If you don't take care of yourself then you won't have energy or patience for her. 2.) Child proof your home to keep her safe. This may mean putting locks up higher on door since you know she threatend to run away. It may mean putting away all sharp knives WAY beyond her reach to the point where she doesn't know where they are. 3.) Establish a set routine to reduce chaos in her world and yours. This can be very difficult when parenting a child who requires attention 24/7. Hang in there. 4.) Keep all her appointments and work with her specialists. Let her know that you are dedicated to being a better Mommy so that the entire family can be healthier.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:11 AM on Nov. 18, 2008