What creative types of fundraising for teen age sports teams have you seen?

please do not suggest selling ANYthing like cookie dough, magazines, etc... I HATE HATE HATE pimping out the kids that way.... i find that sort of thing harassing towards family and neighbors.

Im looking for more creative ways... car wash is fine, swap meet, silent auction, etc... but more unusual and creative.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• There is the flamingo in the lawn thing where people pay to have the flamingos removed which is fun, Brecks does fundraising for flower bulbs which might be something people use anyway, I always like when a local organization does a rent teen day with kids (in pairs or as a parent/child team ) will do a list (provided by the charity with preapproved activities) to come and do outdoor chores for essentially a $50 dollar donation for 3 hours. The prices per unit are high but I don't ever mind buying Yankee Candles.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We have done yard sales at the school. You can talk to any school and ask them about it. We sell spots for $10 and the school gets $5 for each spot and we keep $5. Usually we can get around 100 spots sold.
    You can also do car washes, but be sure to choose a place where there is a high volume of traffic to see you are there and big signs for the kids to hold.

Answer by gemgem at 1:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• PS I know you don't like selling stuff, but I don't mind buying stuff personally when its decent. I would rather buy anything than have someone begging me for money at the supermarket.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The local high schools here were having a mattress fundraiser for their football teams....I thought that was interesting. 60% of brand-new name brand mattresses though wasn't a bad idea! And they did it at the school, just had some players out holding signs on the street corners and stuff just like a car wash. Don't know how they went about organizing that though..
    Anonymous

• The flamingo idea is a good one. Most times our school atheletics raise funds by selling T-shirts or they do raffles. You might be able to get stores to donate things like gift cards or merchandise for the raffle prizes.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Rock A Thon, Jump A Thon (Rocking Chairs, Jump Roping)...
    Yard Sale, Discount Cards.
    Sponsorships

Unfortunately - sales are the best way.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• LOL @ flamingos in the yard... not sure the home owners associations around here would go for that. How do you advertise who should remove them?? We have 4 high schools with in a 5 mile radius... how do they know who to call... do you put out a flyer??

I like the idea of the rent a teen but see a bit of an issue with liability... how do you insure property damage, safety of kids, etc. $50 seems low... perhaps $50 an hour but $50 for 3 hours seems very cheap.

LOL.. I HATE HATE HATE my current mattress... how did that work?  did they contact a local mattress company?  Im thinking a mom and pop store would have an easier time than a national chain... too much red tape with a chain company.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If there's an Outback Restuarant in your area, contact them about doing a fundraiser. We're doing one for our swim club. We sell tickets for $15 and we get $12 for the team.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:16 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Our youth group is doing a no stuff sell. You print up flyers and "sell" a piece of paper for $. I think our group is selling the paper for $5 the money goes for camp and the buyer does not have to do anything but hand over money. You might google youth group fundraisers "Group" has some really good ideas, and I am sure you can adapt to your school organazation. Good luck.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2011