Do you think kindergarten teacher is expecting too much?

My sons kindergarten teacher sends about 1-2 notes home a week about my son constantly moving around in class. The other day she wrote had ants in pants all day. He is in a full day kindergarten. When he wad in pre school, the teachers said the same thing. I talked to the doctor, and there is nothing wrong with him. They said some kids move around a lot, basically having a lot of energy. Plus they haven't been going out for recess b/c of cold. Do you think teacher is expects too much?.

hazeleyezmommy

Asked by hazeleyezmommy at 1:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Yes I do. I have the same problems with my dd who is in kinder. When it was very cold and snowy it was worse for her too. She also goes full day. I finally had enough after a note home 5 days in a row and asked one of the assts what was going on. She told me what my dd was doing was no big deal and she felt the teacher was over reacting. I wrote a note to the teacher saying if my dd was so bad maybe I should pull her from school to homeschool or go to private school. Funny, havent gotten a note since.

Answer by gemgem at 1:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think for the notes to come home, it might be a bit excessive. Part of kindergarten and later schooling is learning to stay in your seat. His first grade teacher will have a bigger problem with this, so best to get it straightened out now. Also, it appears that perhaps he does have a small problem with it, since the preschool noted it as well.

I would go in and talk to the teacher and come up with some goals for him to help him. Perhaps you can send a fun puzzle book , like mazes in and tell him he gets a reward when it is finished. So, if all of his work is done, he focuses on the puzzle/activity book, helping him to stay seated?

I think boys tend to have more trouble staying seated than girls overall, but they can do it. You might need some more creative strategies and the teacher should have some suggestions for you.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 1:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Absolutely. Don't let her make you think you need to go down the ADHD route.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if they expect to much, or if they are required to expect to much. I was once told that a 5 yr old has about a 15-20 minute attention span. When isn't attention being paid? Is it all the time or just during certain activities? Is the teacher a hands on type of teacher, or does she expect the children to sit and be quiet and pay attention? I have noticed that the teachers that are more hands on, the ones that do songs or games to teach have less complaints of "antsy children" . I would definitely ask the teacher, when is my son being antsy. See if he's ahead or behind in that area. Sometimes a full school day is a lot on the little ones, other times the subject isn't interesting, and others well the kids are just rambunctious boys and they aren't going to sit still. They are kids not robots. Good Luck to you hun.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Have you told the teacher about the doctor visit? What activities do they have to keep the children active. Could you reccomend duck-duck-goose or something. I think most schools dont know what they're doing really. How many kids in class? Is he getting enough individual attention?
    sabianmom

Answer by sabianmom at 1:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• YES! Kids are kids and should not be expected to sit there like a robot all day. it's kindergarten, they should be playing and moving around. Please don't let them try and tell you something is wrong with your child. Every kid has quirks, some are busier than others, it doesn't always mean ADHD.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 2:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• the kid needs to run around outside and get energy out and if you trap a child of a young age inside allllllll day duh the kid will move around the teacher needs to realize this
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 2:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I would talk to her about ways she can help him. Some kids just need extra movement. There are sensory items he can use or things to fidgit with. Also just having him do something with his whole body ( like getting the sillies out) will help.

My son has Aspergers and had this problem in kinder. Not every kids who likes to move around though has autism or ADHD. Could just be sensory seekers. Also though the teacher could be expecting too much. He is 5/6.....kids like moving !!!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You been notified of this issue both in Kinder and at preschool..what about at home? Will he sit and read a book? Can he focus for more than 5 minutes? Does he get up when he's expected to stay seated other places..like church, appts, things like that? If yes it might be helpful for you all to fill out a Vanderbuilt screening. It can help identify if there may be an issue..or if it's just Kinder antsy-ness.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011