Children and alcohol

A 4-year-old little girl is dead in Georgia after collapsing and being rushed to the hospital. After failing to revive her, the doctors who tried to save the toddler's life were shocked when they discovered the cause of the little girl's death: extreme alcohol poisoning.

How in the world does that happen to a 4-year-old? While the details have not been released regarding how much alcohol she ingested, the father and the aunt of the little girl have been arrested and charged with felony cruelty to children and felony murder. Four other children in the home have been removed, as the implication is that the father "plied" the little girl with alcohol.

I never thought it was "cute" to let your little ones drink from your beer can, and I think most people can agree that giving your baby a bong hit is crossing the line as well. But some people, apparently, think, "Hey, what's it going to hurt?" A lot, actually.

Alcohol isn't meant for tiny people with tiny bodies, who cannot metabolize the way full-grown adults can. Even adults need an hour to metabolize an average alcoholic beverage. Someone 1/3 your size is not going to be okay sipping on your brewski. And "plieing" a toddler with alcohol, as the report says, is the same as poisoning your child.

Even a small amount can have an adverse effect, and honestly, why would you do that? To see a toddler topple around drunk? That is seriously messed up. You wouldn't give your toddler a smidgen of rat poison just to see what happens, so why give any other toxic substance?

Do you ever let your toddler have a sip?

I would NEVER even consider giving my 4 year old alcohol. I rarely drink and don't even keep it in the house.

TARARENEE

Asked by TARARENEE at 1:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• 16 is still FIVE YEARS under the legal age. Would you let a 13 year old share a cigarette on a special occasion? Age limits are in place for a reason, not just to keep the substance taboo.
    Anonymous

• My children aren't allowed alcohol in my house until they are of LEGAL AGE!! And I have NEVER been drunk in front of my children. My children have learned MODERATION.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You do realize in SEVERAL states its acceptable and LEGAL for parents to give their children alcohol at 16 pr older so long as they are in their home and under supervision? I would rather let them have a very very small glass of wine at thanksgiving than have them sneaking behind my back to get trashed. I'm not saying lets get drunk. In EUROPE children consume wine at 8 and sometimes younger with dinner.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 2:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• SOME of the posts I should say. lol Some of the votes I agree with.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes I let my children have sips. It is never more than what they would get at communion. I want my children to learn how to use alcohol properly and not to abuse it. I believe that is one of the problems of American society. We teach children something is off limits and wrong until a magical age and then expect them to just magically know how to handle it properly. It takes teaching like anything else.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 3:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no. I would NEVER give my toddler a sip. I dont even think its cute when babies are holding the bottle or whatever. DH and I have decided that we are okay with our kids having a small glass of wine or something on a very special occasion in our home, ONCE THEY ARE MUCH MUCH OLDER. I dont feel alcohol should be taboo because I think it encourages abuse, but I also think there is an appropriate time for a child to learn about it. Under 16 or so isnt appropriate.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 1:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Do you ever let your toddler have a sip?

Seriously?
    Anonymous

• Nope, I don't let them drink, even a sip.

I do keep it in the house but they know it's off limits and we watch them. If we have something open, it doesn't leave our side or hands so that it cannot be accidentally tasted.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I found this on The Stir, I should have cited it. Sorry.
    TARARENEE

Comment by TARARENEE (original poster) at 2:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• NO! Thats just, wrong!
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 2:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011