Why does it seem you have to be in pto, to go on field trips? makes me mad

I work full time and go to classes, so I can't be in pto. That doesn't mean I don't care abö my child , or shouldn't be able to go on field trips. Most of the moms don't work who are in pto.:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Why can't you go on a field trip? Just tell the teacher you would like to chaperone. Here it's not a big deal.

Answer by missanc at 2:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Are they telling you that you can't go on the field trip? What was there reason (other than being in pto?) What do they consider being in pto? At my son's school, all you have to do is pay $3 and you are in the pto.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have never heard of that. I would call the district because that probably isnt true. You just have to contact the teacher and tell them you want to be a chaperone and it should be fine.

Answer by gemgem at 2:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Usually field trips don't have any correlation to the school's PTO. What makes you feel the PTO blacklisted the working parents, or non-PTO parents from the field trips? Just curious. In all of the schools I have been in, the teacher pulls names, first come first serve or out of a lottery to keep it fair.

If you feel the PTO did prevent you from chaperoning, you should give the teacher a phone call. I am sure the school would want to know, if that is the case.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• In our school, anyone who volunteers can go on the field trip. Next time you hear about one, e-mail the teacher right away and ask if you can go.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have never heard that before.

Could it be an insurance issue?

Or perhaps if the PTO is the one paying for the field trip they are using it as leverage to get you to join.

Either way there really is no reason not to join your PTO/PTA.... it is only a matter of paying the fee. Just because you work is not a reason to not join.

Anonymous

• Tell the teacher that you want to chaperone. I have never heard of having to be on the PTO in order to chaperone field trips.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i know what u mean, ive seen parents go on field trips over and over, its the same parents, they never ask any new parents, especially if uve just moved there....
    mamajojo024

Answer by mamajojo024 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• At my children's school it depends on the grade for how many chaperones can go on the field trip. Any parents can go on the kindergarten and first grade trips. By second grade they start limiting the number of parents that can go. Not because they don't want parents but because by second grade they don't want to have the kids sitting 3 to a seat on the school bus and extra chaperones = less room on the school bus for the kids. Then the class either has to pay more money for another bus OR they just limit the number of chaperones. My daughter (second grade) just had a field trip last week. Her class was only allowed one chaperone on the bus. BUT any parents that wanted to drive up on their own were more than welcome to meet the classes at the destination. I have gone on every one of my children's field trips, but I am not an active member in the PTA (as in I paid, but have never been to a meeting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 7:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When I taught, I rotated through who could chaperone. I usually needed only two at a time. I tried to get every parent that WANTED to, a chance to. PTO had NOTHING to do with it. To be honest, I couldn't say for sure who was and was not a part of the PTO. I only knew my head room mothers were.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011