If you are on food stamps, do you find yourself trying out recipes you couldn't before?

I'm posting this anonymously because I'm not willing to admit that I'm on food stamps. Alot of people frown upon it, but ever since I have been on food stamps I've been able to try out alot of great recipes and get things I haven't been able to afford before. I've been cooking a lot of healthy meals and they've all turned out great. Is this a bad thing? Am I going overboard? SHould I just spend the food stamps on the basics? I know people are very animated about where their tax dollars should be spent when it comes to food stamps so that is why I ask.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

• I know you feel bad for eating so well but you are given the money so that you and your family can eat healthy home cooked meals. Don't feel bad about it just feel good about how healthy you are and grateful to be receiving the assistance. It is better than spending it on cheep crap that will promote obesity. With learning how to cook, you are continuing your education and adding on a new skill set.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think its fine as long as youre eating healthier. In fact thats probably a good thing. Dont worry about the people who choose to judge you for being on food stamps. I had to get them at one point in my life as well. I used to tell them to mind their own business or help find me a better paying job where I could support myself, my kids, without child support I was not getting, and still feed them and keep a roof over their heads.

Answer by gemgem at 2:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I dont know anyone who holds them against people who need them. But as someone who has been there be careful depending on them :( JUST as we started to get ahead we topped out of the program and were left treading water again because we needed to come up with money for food that we didnt have to before! I never got on them again. even when we qualified. When we got ahead I wanted to KNOW we were! ONe thing I wish I HAD known when I was on them tho.....you can use COUPONS on them!! Which is awesome because yopu can stretch them even further!!! Good luck!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• yes i do find myself trying different meals. There's meals that require certain vinegers and i wouldnt be able to afford them if i didnt have them so i wouldnt try it. If i didnt have them...i would be buying frozen pizzas that are on sale and raman noodles, i still do but we dont eat it as much as when we didnt have them.

I also learned how to cook chicken different ways because of them! i have also failed at some recipes but im still glad i got the chance to try them out.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When I was on WIC, I got very creative with the stuff. Who knew that dredging chicken breasts in egg/milk mixture, crumbs made out of Special K cereal, and topped with a slice of cheddar would be so good? You do what you have to do to keep your family fed and by learning new recipes and how to stretch out your allowance, you will find yourself becoming more creative and making better meals for your family.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that trying out new recipes and cooking healthier are a huge bonus; nothing to be ashamed of at all. IMO, that's better than buying "junk" food!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think there is nothing wrong with making thoughtful, creative meals. Cooking and food are more than just a physical need, but a show of love for your family which is what gets you through good times and bad. There are lots of people who abuse the system, but those people are usually not the ones chopping up fresh veggies and stirring stuff on the stove.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't know why you should justify what you spend and how to complete strangers. Go ahead and try your recipes, the more healthy homemade food you make, the better for you and your family.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think my mom has hard time with it because everytime I talk about cooking she always has that undertone in her voice, like she's being a snob about it. Plus my brothers have voiced their opinions on the subject many times before growing up, so I already know their opinion on it. I guess that's why I feel ashamed, but I don't feel ashamed about taking care of my girls. I do want to make sure they're eating healthy and know that there's more to cooking meals than just hot dogs and pizza.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i have to admit it is nice to make healthier meals that i could not afford to do. i try to budget the food stamps for the month but sometimes we run out due to food pricing and i buy extra if there are storms. so thankfully hubby does bring in paychecks to help to. i was given a crockpot for Christmas and i love it gives me time to do other things to and they gave me a recipe book to. i have tried a lot of them and they are inexpensive and healthy and my kids even are willing to eat it.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011