How do you get your teenage Senior out of Senior-itis?

My teen goes to school everyday, gets to his classes on time, but refuses to do his work. So possibly could not be graduating. His teachers say they feel like they are asking him to do his work so much they are harassing him. He tells me to back off and let him do it. He gets very angry with me. Well all I am asking him to do is turn something in. He seems done with it all. How do I wake him up and get him to push on just a little longer??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I have a son doing the same... I feel your pain, and wish I had a solution. I DO know that "forcing" my son gets me no where. The more I push, he pulls. He also thinks he knows EVERYTHING... so any input I may give, such as "you need to get decent grades to get into college" - is always brushed off as me knowing NOTHING. It makes me a bit crazy.

I'm sorry you're having to go through it... you have my complete sympathy and understanding!!!
    3sons_inMO

Answer by 3sons_inMO at 11:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If you have to, let him fail. He'll wake up real fast at that point.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• tell your child that wow if you dont want to graduate and grow up maybe its good that you fail because the real world wont accept slackers i never had senioritis i pulled through with a 4.0 and ive never gotten a 4.0 ever only senior year because it was important to do good and pass and graduate. Your child needs to realize that you did all these years of school and now you want to not graduate really??? THINK
    AliciaLamoreux

Answer by AliciaLamoreux at 2:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• wish i could suggest otherwise, but twinsplus2more is right. you're doing what you can, the teachers are doing what they can, if he's not only not doing but also getting aggressive about it, let him find out the hard way the consequences of not appreciating your help. i know he's your baby (my mom went through the same thing with my brother since like middle school lol) but he's not a little kid. he'll be out there in the real world soon enough and this is a place to start.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 2:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I agree, to a point, with the previous posters. However, as a mom of a senior myself, here's what I'd do: take away the car keys, the cell phone, whatever is important to him. Failure is not an option in my book. My son knows that he is expected to graduate on time - trust me, school was never his thing - but he will graduate on time because that is my rule and he has known it from day one. After graduation, he can do what he pleases but he also knows that I will not support a slacker. He'll grow up soon enough; put your foot down and do whatever it is to get to graduation.
    Anonymous

• Stop pushing him!!! The more you push the more he will dig in his heels. He may need to fail in order to have a wake up call. You cannot force him to do or turn in the work.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011