Paretning guidance program?

My son is 6 and has Asperger's. He was diagnosed about a year and a half ago. I am trying to figure out my next step with him. (He has an IEP at school already) My biggest fault seems to be my ability to parent him. He is getting to big for me to carry up the stairs and I need help in what will be most effective with him. Their web site is so vague! Any suggestion as to what I could ask when I call them?
http://pathwaystransitionprograms.com/About/Default.aspx

I like their philosophies and core values but feel I have no idea what to expect!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you looked into what (if anything) your local autism society offers in the way of parenting classes for children with aspergers? I'm just thinking it might be cheaper. At 6, there's no reason for you to be carrying him anywhere. My 13 yo has autism. I'm not sure what issues you are having with him, but one of our biggest achievements was teaching my son "first . . . then" (first we're going to write letters, then you can go play outside"
    Also - have you looked into RDI? It's similar to what you are looking for (I think), but its more focused on kids with ASD.

Answer by missanc at 2:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He is on state medical so we are VERY limited in what we can do. I haev looked in to about 4 ABA and none take his insurance. THis place does which is why I was looking into it in the first place. He gets angry and hurts me and his sister. Yesterday he pushed her doen in the kitchen for closing the pantry door. I told him to go to his room to calm down he didn't go so I have to carry him up or he will continue to hurt her or tear things up. When he is in his room he throws stuff at the door and kicks the walls. I have tried so many tactics and books to help him but I just can't do it. I am not sure what an RDI is I will have to look it up.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011