How can i get my child to eat soild food?

my son is still eating baby food and he doesnt seem intrested in eating what mommy and daddy our. he just plays with it and give it to the dogs. i have tried everything from mac-n-cheese to apples and nothing is working. he will how ever each dora crakers, regular crakers, honey comes and other ceral. He drinks out of a sippy cup, we all eat at the same time to show him that he could be eathing this but he just pushes it off.
I need help becuase i am running out of things to do and our budject and take buying baby fiid anymore.

Smashgal

Asked by Smashgal at 10:09 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He will eat when he is hungry. If you do not have baby food then he will eat whatever you give him......eventually. He will NOT let himself starve to death. I know it is VERY hard to see your child hungry but he is going to have to be really hungry to eat what you are giving him instead of what he wants.
    imtheonlysane1

Answer by imtheonlysane1 at 10:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Yes - stop giving him baby food. My 23 month old had a slow transition to eating what we eat - but I did get him to eat solid food right before his 1st birthday. For example - Cream of wheat, instant oatmeal for breakfast - spaghetti with sauce for lunch, or all beef franks (cut up small) and beans for lunch or peanut butter and jelly - cut into 4 squares - some of that could be offered for dinner too (since they eat such small amounts I would save leftovers for other meals - except for breakfast). Also my son loved mashed potatoes and french fries (I would give him the oven baked ones - which are healthier). Experiment and see what your son likes - just stop buying baby food. Also try cutting up strawberries, bananas, and other fruit - and buy the non- baby food applesauce and puddings are good too. Good luck - and remember he will not starve.
    Myboysmom08

Answer by Myboysmom08 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 17, 2008