Appropriate amount of homework for 4th grade?

(no spelling words - just fcat essays, timed - allllll year.) and math. but it's 3 hours of work min. He hardly has time for dinner bc he has to go back to finish homework - no playing outside - bc theres no time left! ... (thursday he has soccer practice - and we really cut the homework corners that night) what is appropriate????

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 2:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• That seem excessive to me but then again I am very against the idea of home work as anything other than studying or projects any way.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• That sounds like way too much. My kids never do that much. How are his grades?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• PS - he has homework 7 days a week!!!! the weekend day are JUST as much homework! this is reallllly effecting family time! ugh!
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 2:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I would say no more than 2 hours...but not every night. I am in college and they say 1 hour of homework per hour in class and that is mostly reading. Lots of reading. When my son was in 4th grade, he had no more than 1 hour of homework, maybe 3 days a week and NONE on Friday's.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He gets straight A's. He works very hard, but it doesn't make it any less time that he spends on it....
    Tiffany8168

Comment by Tiffany8168 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think half an hour is enough well through elementary and middle school. Maybe an hour by 7th or 8th grade but still not every night. I don't know if I had a lenient school or what but I seriously never had any real homework until 6th grade.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The general guideline is 10 minutes for every grade level: 30 minutes for 3rd grade, 40 minutes for 4th grade and so on. IT IS A TOTAL CROCK! My daughter is in 5th grade, she's a straight-A student so I know it's not the inability to comprehend the material but all about quantity - she too has hours upon hours of homework every night and weekends. It serves absolutely no purpose and takes away from family time and down time. Our educational system believes in rote learning and drill and repetition; not all kids learn that way. It has been proven time and time again that homework serves absolutely no purpose until the high school years. I'm with you sister, it sucks!
    Anonymous

• In previous years, my child had tons of homework. I went to the teachers and asked why. My child was messing around and socializing on class and not doing his work. Go to the teacher and ask why they are giving so much work. Also ask around to the other moms and see if they are having the same problem, if they are then you should go to the principal and complain.

I am with anon, 10 minutes per grade level sounds about right and my son is at a academically advanced charter school, so they typically have more homework than public schools.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He needs to learn how to get more done in class. It will greatly reduce the amount of time he has to spend on it at home. If there literally is no time to do any of the work in class then they definitely are giving the kids too much work. Sometimes at that age you just want to spend time with your friends so you mess with them instead of doing the work and do the work when it's just your parents around. He is smart but he may not be making a good decision. I would ask the teachers how hard he works in class and go from there. If they say he is always working real hard then confront them with how much time it's taking away from his home life. He's a good kid, think of how bad it would be for the kids who are not as good or as smart as him if they are giving too much work.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think that is way too much homework I mean he is in school all day and then he has to be in it too at home..that's bull I would talk to his teacher or their counselor. my 4th grader brings home words to study all week for Fridays test and 1 sheet of someki d of math they have been working on and sometimes something to read then do some multiple choices but he has til Friday to complete I usually let him do it on Tues. or one homework a day depends on what we have planned but I always make sure it's completed by Thurs. GL Yeah talk to other moms in his classs and go from there.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011