Is it acceptable for your husband, when you tell him your new work colleague is attractive, to ask 'is she single'

Whilst out for our Valentine's meal on saturday and discussing my new job my husband made this comment. When i reacted he stated it was for his friend. Personally I find this disrespectful but would be interested in hearing opinions

cocoa1504

Asked by cocoa1504 at 2:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• If it was a joke, haha. But to ask for real? No. If it were for a friend he could have said maybe so and so would be interested if she's single. But then again, men don't think before they speak.
    Anonymous

• 1) Was he joking?
    2) Does he had single friends? Maybe he was asking to pair them up.

If he was serious, NO!
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• may have been ajoke, may have been inquiring for a single buddy he has. I wouldn't jump to conclusions and why would he say that to his wife? Cmon.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 2:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't see an issue at all..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My husband and I can say anything. I wouldn't have been offended. Do you seriously think he's looking to replace you?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Oh please, lol. Me and DH joke all the time about seeing attractive people and saying so! In fact I will catch him looking and ask him 'You think she's hot don't you' He'll say ' yeah... I guess' lmao! WE are very comfortable and trusting in our relationship so I guess that make a difference. I know he would never lay hands on another woman just like he knows I would never lay hands on another man. Our rule is look don't touch. :o) If it bothers you then you guys should talk about it though. He needs to know.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I doubt very much he would ask you this question if he had an interest for himself.

He just forgot to turn on the brain to mouth filter.

Either he was just curious. Attractive co-worker, hmmm...is she married? Innocent question.

OR

He does have a single friend who was recently lamenting the lack of single AND attractive women available to him..it rang a bell..and out the question popped.

I would be likely to go with option number two here.

I think he just blurted it out and didn't meant that he was interested or wanted to know about her sex life or anything offensive to you...Unless he is like this and we just don't know that.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It's a guy thing. There is nothing wrong with it. Even if she wasn't single and they noticed beauty, that is normal. Guys do it all of the time. We don't need to compete with it, just embrace the beauty in others. It is a far better thing than not allowing our men to be men. They shouldn't have to be afraid of "hurting" our feelings because we are entertaining insecurities.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 2:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• For ME and MINE...if he said something like that, I would assume that he was kidding and I would probably playfully hit him on his arm and tell him to shut up,LOL. I really doubt that my guy would show genuine interest in finding out about a single woman for himself.
    BUT...if he was a creeper...and I knew he wasn't just playing around..he was seeking the answer for himself, Yeah..thats not cool at all. I'd be bent.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Most likely he was joking, or he really does want to set her up with his friend. I wouldn't blow it out of proportion. My husband and I joke about stuff like that all the time. Do you really think he would ask you about her relationship status to your face if he wanted to dump you?
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 2:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011