To crate or not to crate?

What are the benefits of crating a puppy?

onethentwins

Asked by onethentwins at 2:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Pets

• Use a crate.

They are often better house trained. They don't destroy your baseboards, shoes, or dining room table legs with destructive chewing, you won't have ER visits and emergency surgeries to remove army men or dress socks, or corn cobs from their intestines, you won't come home to scratched up cupboards, or chewed down doorframes, you won't come home to yesterday's full garbage spread from one end of the house to another, or your room mate's new ski boots half eaten. You won't have to vacuum static bean bag beads from the ceilings and the walls. Your dog has a safe and cozy place to sleep, you will not have a dog who greets you from the roof of your condo, or who leaves the house and waltzes into the walgreens across the street, through the revolving door and all and you wil not have a dog who goes through a window of your house to get the mailman or neighbor's cat next door.

All of the above from dogs not crated!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 2:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It makes it easier to housebreak them because dogs don't like to mess where they sleep. It also keeps them from chewing on things they shouldn't and getting sick, choking, or getting electrocuted. It's just like putting a baby in a playpen or crib to keep them out of trouble...nothing cruel what-so-ever...unless the puppy is stuck in the crate 24/7! All of my dogs have been crate trained.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They won't pee or poop in the crate. It's a great way to train them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Easier to house train and dogs LOVE them. At first there will probably be some crying but the puppy will learn to love it. It's like a cozy quiet spot for them where they can relax. We all like those places right ;)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 2:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• The crate is just like a child having their own room. It's somewhere they can go to relax or if they don't want to be bothered. It's a comfort zone. It also makes house training easier since they will not mess where they sleep. It's very important that the kennel be the right size. They should have only enough room to stand up and turn around. Any bigger and they may decide to use the corner as their bathroom.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• And feel free to let them wander at night when they're older, have been house trained and know the rules. We stopped locking them in at night once they learned what not to chew and where the bathroom is but we always left the crate there and open if they wanted to go inside for some alone time.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• spottedpony - LOL, sounds like you have experience!!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We adopted a dog who was between 3 and 4 when we got her. She had been crate trained and her crate was given to us when we adopted her. For the first week, we dutifully put her inside the crate at night. In the morning when I let her out, I noticed that her left hip seemed stiff. I didn't like it. I tested not putting her in it for a night and there were no inside accidents. Sure, she slept on the couch, but when we all woke up the next morning, I noted that she was no longer favoring that hip. She has never seemed like she's unhappy about no longer being in the crate at night. In the year and a half we've had her, I'm happy to say that she's adjusted very well to sleeping without the crate and I've not noticed any further problems with her hip.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Crate - the only way to go!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, once they are trained to not potty on the floor or chew on things they shouldn't, it is fine to allow them free-roam of the house. I think I was able to stop locking mine up at night and when we left the house when they were about 6-8 months old, but they still had access to their crate if they wanted to sleep in it or get a break from the kids.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:47 AM on Feb. 15, 2011