How to get my 6 year old to stop swearing.

Lately my son has been swearing. My husband and I don't swear. Just wondering if there was anything to try to get him to stop.

lovemykids2010

Asked by lovemykids2010 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him other words he can use in thier place..."ohhhh fudgy brownies", "Oh Snickerdoodle", "SNAP!"(that one I really can't stand but better than "SHIT" lol)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Do you punish him when he does swear?
    Anonymous

• punishment... come down hard and swiftly... each and every time.

I believe that kids need to learn early on that when mama and dad say no, they mean NO.  I promise you that if you dont take a firm strong stand now... and make him see that you mean what you say and there is 100% follow through you will get walked on when he is a teen.

Anonymous

• The first time we took his DS away for a week. Then we took the DS and computer away for a week. This time we took away the DS, Computer and TV for a week which includes the Wii.
    lovemykids2010

Comment by lovemykids2010 (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My kids got what we call lines. They had to write out "I will not cuss" 100 times or 200 times depending on their age. After a couple of those and maybe 1500 lines of that (over say a week lol) their hand hurt and they didnt want to cuss anymore.

Answer by gemgem at 2:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I tell my son 'those are grown up word and when you are 18 you may choose to use them right now you need to say something else. If I hear that word out of your mouth again you will not be getting dessert. I am not going to put something that good into a mouth that has had something that nasty come out of it. Are we clear?'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Too bad we can't have them eat soap anymore, huh? I got soap in my mouth once or twice.

I like Kim's approach. I would add, take things away if they don't switch to the new words. Supernanny has a thing for charts, but it might work. Make a chart and put gold stars on it for chores and other things that he does right. Take some away every time he swears. Explain that to him before hand. Make it a rule that when he gets to so many stars he gets something, like ice cream or a trip to the video store, something he likes.
    You can even make some offenses worth more stars than others.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 2:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Wash his mouth with soap.
    Anonymous

• My parents used tobacco sauce on us! It worked! Til this day its rare that I swear! One drop on the tongue is all that it takes!
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 3:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• probably not going to be a popular reply but they are just words, my kids swear, I dont pay any attention. For some reason they instinctivly know that there are certain places that they are not supposed to swear, but I honestly dont make a big deal about it and never have. My oldest son swore like a sailor when he was about 8, he rarely swears now.
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 3:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011