Mucus plug and contractions

if you were almost in the end of your pregnancy and you lost your mucus plug,did you go into labour after that? what about the dilation? after you lost it,did you dilate even more? i 've bee dilated 2-3 cm for a month now and just went to the doc today,after i lost my mucus plug this morning and she said that i am the same 2-3 cm, and nothing changed,except my contractions are real now. she just said to keep track and when they get 7 or 5 min apart to go to the hospital. i live 1.5 hours away from the hospital and my parents in law live 5 min away. my doc said that it's safe to go home today.
i am just wondering if i should wait,or go home and how soon will i be in labour?
they are getting stronger and my belly is hardening too.
so,tell me about your labour and if your labour progressed after you lost your mucus plug.
by the way am 38 weeks and 2 days today.

crouse3

Asked by crouse3 at 3:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I lost my plug 3 weeks before I was induced! Also had contractions for the same amount is time! I also was 3cm and at 80% that whole time.... so everyone is different
    tnunley

Answer by tnunley at 3:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• monitor you contractions and when they get to 8 to 7 mins id start heading to the hospital only because you live so far away. trust me you dont want this baby to hatch in the car. we live in a rual area and people here have had babies on the road due to them waiting too long before heading to the hospital. plus you never know how long its going to take for labor. some take a long time and others a short time. typically they say the first one is the longest but ive heard of it being short for some people.
    or if you have the option maybe stay at your parents so you can wait for the 5 min mark. basically they sont want you in unless your water breaks, contractions are 5 mins apart or your 5 cm dilated.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I lost my mucus plug for 5 weeks. Big pieces and small. Have no clue on dilation. Never checked because it does not tell you anything. I just know when it was a little bit blood tinged. I was dilating.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I lost my mucus plug when I was 34 weeks pregnant, and I started having real contractions. They gave me a shot to stop the contractions and then sent me home. I was 70 percent effaced and 1.5cm dilated. Due to pre-eclampsia, I was induced at 38 weeks- and during those four weeks after I lost my mucus plug, I staying 70 percent effaced and 1.5cm dilated. I am sure you will be fine, just make sure you keep a watch around and time your contractions. If they are 5-7mins apart and last 60 seconds- then get yourself to the hospital.

After my water broke at 230pm- I did not give birth to my baby until 752pm....So knw that labor can be a long process, so dnt stress yourself out about rushing to hospital. It would be good to have a friend or family member close by jst in case you need someone to drive you to the hospital.

Congrats on the baby-It will be here soon enough.....Get plenty of rest <3
    RiaChristine

Answer by RiaChristine at 5:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I was 37 weeks when I lost it with my last pregnancy. I was dialated 2cm for almost a month. I had her after 41 weeks. HAving contractions the whole time since about 5 days before I lost the plug....
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 11:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011