Washing your child's private areas

I have a little girl who just turned two. She gets a bath almost every night of the week. She can wash herself pretty well, and I always wash her hair and try to make sure her private areas are clean.

How well should I wash her front (vagina)? I want to make sure she is clean, but am not sure "how well" I should wash her.

Any suggestions?

charisma10

Asked by charisma10 at 10:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just wipe it with a wash cloth. As if you're changing her. Dont go crazy or she can get an infection. Little kids dont need to be washed as thouroughly down there like adults
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 10:15 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Girls have a good balance of bacteria down there and if you think she cleans pretty good have her do it herself then do a quick once over on her. My DD is 3 1/2 and I make her clean herself because I am trying to feed the idea to her that SHE is the ONLY person that can touch herself there UNLESS she has an infection or as I call it "owies" down there which she has never had that problem since she has been out of diapers. I am trying to teach her there are very few people she can trust to touch her there appropriately without makeing it a huge deal to her.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:21 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Just a wipe down with a wash cloth. That area is pretty "self cleaning" so you don't need to do too much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• The vagina is self cleaning and you don't need to do anything there. The vulva (the part of the female genitals that are outside of the body) should be washed with a mild soap and/or water. Not scrubbed. No harsh or perfumed soaps. Just a quick "wipe down" including between the folds.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 18, 2008