Using tobascco sauce as punishment??

I recently posted a question regarding tips on what to do for my 6 year old swearing. One of the responses I got was to use a drop of tobassco sauce. I am on the fence about that. Is that grounds for child abuse. These days, it is hard to know what you can do and not get into trouble with the county for it. Another said to use soap. That is what my parents used on me but I not sure if that is "legal" to do.....

lovemykids2010

Asked by lovemykids2010 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Those are horrible ideas. I could never do that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There is a lady currently being sued for this. Yes imo it is child abuse but I guess in the end it is up to each state and each judge to decide.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I got the soap twice by my grandma, never did it again
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• In my state soap is considered 'introducing a toxin to a child' (per DFACS parenting class) so it is also illegal depending on the state.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• What's wrong with tabasco sauce? My DH puts tabasco sauce on his eggs in the morning. My DD2 loves trying it on her tongue and making faces.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 3:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Your damn right it's child abuse!! Put some of that crap on your tongue and see how you feel. If you are not willing to do it to your self you sure as hell should NOT be doing it to a child!!!!! Try taking toys or privileges away. But the time the kid has nothing in his room but a bed for a week he'll get the hint!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• A drop or two is not child abuse and just may get the message across. Worked for my kid years ago; my parents generation used to use soap. At least tobasco or hot sauce is edible.
    Anonymous

• The first time we took his DS away for a week...then we took the DS and computer away for a week......this last time we took the DS, computer and TV (which includes video games that can be played on it e.g. wii), not sure what else to try. I wouldn't ever do the soap or tobasco treatments.
    lovemykids2010

Comment by lovemykids2010 (original poster) at 3:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When my seven year old tries to swear he get a time out just like if he'd hit his sister. I WILL not put Tabasco sauce in my child's mouth. He is old enough to understand right vs. wrong and after he does his time out we talk about why those words are not appropriate.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• while i dont consider it child abuse, its not something i would try with my kids either. i consider it harsh more than anything, and just personally believe there are better ways to approach the swearing issue.

IMO calling this child abuse is insulting to children who are actually abused. some of them would probably pray to have just gotten tabasco sauce on their tongues.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2011