Do you spank your children ?

The Bible says spare the rod spoil the child !! Do you spank your children ? The Gov says you will go to jail for assault ? Thoughts answers on this please ...No bashing just a simple question and wanting others opinions ..Thank you and God bless :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've spanked twice in 5 years, once for running into the street and once for reaching for a hot stove after being repeatedly told no. Both were between 20-30 months of age, so those terrible 2's lol. If my child is doing something to endanger his life I'm not going to debate with him, or chase him around a parking lot because I'm afraid someone is going to call the police. If he runs in a parking lot his butt is getting an open handed swat and he's very sternly told he is not to repeat the behavior ever again, or there will be worse consequences. My hand across his bottom is a much better consequence then death by vehicle because he thinks he chasing him is a game. I've never used spanking as a first form of discipline and haven't had to spank in several years. And I fully believe there is a difference between spanking and beating your child, one is legal, one is not.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, we spank him but not over silly little things. Only when he's being really bad or when I've been asking him to do or not do something repeatedly and he's still not listening.
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 4:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Heck NO! Why would I spank my child?! My hands are for holding my babies and showing them how to love...not to use as weapons to inflict pain!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i am a woman of Christian faith and i do not believe spanking has to be about God. i also do not believe it is the governments business how a parent chooses to discipline their child (as long as there is no abuse involved, and SPANKING IS NOT ABUSE). i rarely spank as a form of discipline, it is almost always used as a quick attention getter when someone is doing something that could hurt them. thats not to say i havent ever spanked, but it is a rare last resort. timeout and redirection usually works and i always try that first.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I never spank my child. I don't believe in it.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I try not to, unless they are doing something dangerous. We use a lot of time out ( not them in time out, their stuff, seems to work really well). But if they are doing something to hurt themselves or one of their siblings I will swat on the butt.
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 4:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I am Catholic and do not spank my children. I think that when the bible was written it was during a different time where there were different social norms and our civilization had not advanced to what it is today. Today we know that spanking can cause both physical and psychological damage to our children, and it really does not teach them anything but hitting is alright or that if youre bigger then someone you can get away with hitting them. Instead I choose other methods of punishment. I was never spanked as a child, and see no need to spank mine. There are many other alternatives to spanking.

Answer by gemgem at 4:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have spanked my little girl, but only when she hit me. I was drying her off after a bath...she was a little over 1-year-old. She slapped me in the chest, above my shirt so she was hitting bare skin. I told her no, we don't do that and she did it again. I gave her three warnings and after having three little red handprints on my chest, I smacked her bottom. She didn't even cry, but looked so surprised. I said, "Hurts, doesn't it?" She nodded, never hit me again and I haven't had to spank her again.
    Stacipr

Answer by Stacipr at 4:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I do spank my children but after numerous warnings. I don't spank for evrything they do wrong. I also take away privledges and use timeouts.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes. A light swat gets the message through a lot better than a timeout. I don't spank a lot, but when necessary, I will.
    August07Mom

Answer by August07Mom at 4:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011