My mom is driving me crazy?!?!

My mom drives me crazy and really stresses me out! My mom has alot of issues and it drives me insane.She's always had a very high stress level and freaks out over tiny things! She's going through a divorce, has a douche bag for a boyfriend, and only cares about herself! Ok so I'm 20 and married and she acts like I'm a child and tells me what to do whenver she see's me,nagging,anal about everything when were out in public sometimes she will yell at me out of no where very bipolar! I don't know what to do she stresses me out all the time and I don't know what to say to her that will make her stop being so crazy and so nagging. It's very embarrassing, I've tried telling her and she says well your always going to be my kid so I have to teach you things. It's just annoying and I don't know what else to do?!?!

bellaambru90

Asked by bellaambru90 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• 16 years ago today we buried my mom. I would love to have her here nagging me.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 4:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• try ignoring her. or do what she does to you.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• can you limit the time you spend with her? I wouldn't be able to let my mom drag me down like that - SHE Is not in control anymore.. don't LET her be..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You have to emotionally detach yourself from her. Its called self preservation. My mom is very bipolar in her ways some times and will say and do things that are very hurtful. I had to learn how to detach myself from her tantrums. It works. Just walk away when she starts acting this way and try just not talking to her for a few days.

Answer by gemgem at 4:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We see each other a couple times a month and she's addicted to her phone and is constantly texting to her boyfriend Crispy...
    bellaambru90

Comment by bellaambru90 (original poster) at 4:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You always will be her child, she's right about that but the great thing about being an adult is that we can survive independently of our parents. My mother's behavior isn't as extreme as yours but she does have her moods and moments where I can't stand to be around her. As a kid all I ever heard was how me and my brother have managed to ruin every birthday and holiday for her - I hate being around her on special occasions because she's just flat out a bitch, she likes to make comments or give me looks when she doesn't approve of something...she once said in front of the entire family that I don't love my kids and that I'm heartless because I don't give in to them when they throw a tantrum. Try to limit your contact with her, tell her flat out you can no longer handle her behavior and that what you need is to get away from the negative influences in your life. There isn't a nice way to tell her she's driving you crazy.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Well, I'm 39 and my mother still fusses and tries to tell me what to do lol. I am her baby, her only baby lol soooo! I suppose setting boundaries is an option, but my mom is my mother and she will always give me her opinion whether I like it or not lol.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Well I've decided I'm going to write my mom a letter and tell her how I feel and that we need a break from each other but I'm not going to tell her how long that I'm going to decide whenever I feel it's right. I think we just need a break from each other maybe she will finally realize that this kind of behavior is embarrassing and hopefull she will respect me more and treat me as the adult that I am.
    bellaambru90

Comment by bellaambru90 (original poster) at 11:34 PM on Feb. 15, 2011