My 8 month old daughter wont sleep in her crib?

My 8 month old daughter is a little spoiled when it comes to people picking her up and such...I never meant to do that, it was an accident. Anyways, when she wakes up in the middle of the night and i change her/give her a bottle she dosent want to go back in her crib. I give her the bottle in her crib, but when shes done she cries and wants to sleep with us. She wont go down! I usually give in because my boyfriend has work early and my mom has epilepsy so I dont want her to wake up her and the entire house. (We live with my parents) But this has to stop! Any suggestions? Thanks

kay526

Asked by kay526 at 4:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Really the only way to get it to stop is to make her understand if she cries for no reason (she's dry, she's fed, she's not scared) you're not going to cave. I know living with others puts you in a very difficult situation, I've been there. But your daughter has learned screaming gets her her way. Maybe talk to the other member's of the household, and give them notice that starting on such and such day you are going to start letting her cry it out more. And then try for 2 weeks and see if you can break the habit. After her feeding and clean diaper give a hug and kiss, say mommy loves you, and leave for 10-15 minutes. If she's crying after this time period go back in, give back anything she's dropped, say mommy loves you but its night night time, give kisses, and leave for 10-15 minutes. Keep repeating and I promise she will eventually cry herself back to sleep. At first she might fight it but if you're consistent (cont)
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• She will learn not only to sooth herself, but that although mommy loves her her bed is hers, and that's where she sleeps. Make sure she's dry and fed, and set a timer if you find it hard to stay out. Start out with small amounts of time, and increase the length you let her cry as you've been at it for awhile. I had to do that with my son around 12 months and it took 2 weeks-ish, but eventually he would cry for like literally 2 minutes and be out, because he knew mommy wasn't going to move him.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Here is what I would try. First off, when you go in to feed her I would actually take her out of the crib and give her a bottle, hold her, rock her, maybe sing to her while she is eating the bottle in your arms. Then hold her for another couple of minutes or so, burp her, etc, and put her back to bed. Hopefully she will be nice and drowsy at this point. If she goes to sleep with music make sure to restart the cd. Then you can go out and if she fusses do some sort of cry-it-out method. For me, it worked at this age to go in every 2 minutes. This kept my DD from getting totally worked up like she would have if I gave it 10-15 minutes. I would go back after two minutes (I used a timer) and pat her back, even pick her up if I needed to, get her calmed back down and then go out. Repeat until she falls asleep. It took about 8 tries my first night, and then within a week I usually only had to go back in once. Good luck.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I used to put my daughter in her car seat next to my bed or the couch. I swaddled her(although at 8 months your daughter may not want swaddled) and strapped her in it. I think the coziness of it helped her feel warm and cuddled. Her head being elevated made me feel better because she has asthma and it made breathing easier. I used a car seat that I was able to reach down and rock if she started to fuss a little. I could place my hand on her tummy as she drifted off and she was safe.
    HeidiHelene

Answer by HeidiHelene at 5:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011