Would you take your child to visit his/her father thats in jail?

would you take your child to visit his/her father thats in jail?

i was just wondering
me personally i wouldn't because when i was younger my mother took me up there almost every weekend and its not a fun place the process is just horrible

would you?

LABELmeCUTE

Asked by LABELmeCUTE at 4:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope, I work at a police dept and our jail is attached. It breaks my heart to see all these children in the lobby waiting to see their dad, they're normally getting yelled at by their mom for misbehaving, when clearly they don't want to be here.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i dont think i would just bc there r child molesters in there and i would think they were undressing my child or something...but thats just me and i am like that
    kaleigh1984

Answer by kaleigh1984 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I dont think Id allow it until a certain age. It would depend on my childs maturity. The visit would also depend on why dad is in jail. If its something hardcore then Im not sure what Id do.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Nope. I think its sending the wrong message is why. If you take your child to see someone in jail who is supposed to be so influential then it would worry me they might grow up and think going to jail is alright (even if its a minor thing its never right). It also could be very confusing to the child and maybe even affect their self esteem. It isnt like a kid wants to go to school and say what they did that weekend was see their dad in jail. Id rather lie to my child and say daddy is away on business then say they were in jail or take them to a jail to visit.

Answer by gemgem at 4:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't know. I guess it would depend what he was in for and for how long. Also how old the child was. Depending on what it was, I may not even be willing to go myself! But if it's the only relationship the child would have with the father.....I don't know maybe it's better than none?
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I couldn't imagine my husband ever IN jail, but I think if it were truly a crime he committed to be in there, then No.. he wouldn't want his son to see him either..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes I would. They need to know what happens when someone screws up. Now, depending on how long he was in for, I wouldn't stretch that into 40 visits or anything but experience and viewing that part of life does wonders for keeping them straight.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No. Although it might be a good thing to send the father photos or something. To encourage him to do good and get out of that place! I went to jail over parking tickets, it was either pay the $863.00 or 10 days in jail. I chose the ten days.
    I have never just left my car out on the street during street sweeping again!
    But fortunately I did not stay too long, it is tough in there.
    Anonymous

• Yes. That's still their father.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Thats really hard cause it would depend on the situation. My friend took her son to show him where and what jail was and was very clear as to why his dad was there. He learned at 5 that hisdad chose drugs over him and is a very well behaved young man.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 4:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2011