Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Should I amend my tax return?

I filed our taxes and have already received our refund. However, last year my son went to a summer care program and I didn't know that I could claim that until I had already filed. It looks like I could get about $200-$300 back. Should I file an amended tax return or do I need to do something else or am I sorry out of luck?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Amend it. Why the hell not? Sheesh it is your money.

    Answer by mmmegan38 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • If you want the money, then amend it.

    Answer by AngZacc at 5:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I didn't know if I could, that's why I was asking. Does it cost to amend?


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Amend, the IRS shouldn't charge you for that.

    Answer by tasches at 5:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • You can amend it, but just so you know it can take like 6 months to get that money.

    Answer by Nanixh at 5:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I'd do it. But it Nanixh is right, it takes a super long time for them to process it. But if it's $200 or $300, that can make it worth it.
    Good luck!

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 7:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Yes, do an amended return. There should not be a charge for it. (unless you have H&R Block or similar do it)

    Answer by elizabr at 7:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I have amended in the past, and it is very easy and simple to do. It does not not take 6 months. I only took me about 2 weeks longer.

    Answer by luvschocolate at 7:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • yes you can amend.I had to amend all 3 of my kids when they received their trust fund from grandparents.It was simply another form to fill out but return may take longer.

    Answer by grismelda at 5:19 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.