How can I get my DS to take naps?

My DS is almost 4 months old and its nearly impossible to get him to nap anywhere but in my arms. If I can put him down he wont stay asleep for more than 30 minutes at a time, then he is super cranky cause he is tired. If I hold him he will sleep for hours. This is only a nap time problem, he sleeps in his crib all night with no problem.

ErinT

Asked by ErinT at 5:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do you have s boppy? I tend to have this problem, and today I let Charlotte fall asleep while I was holding her on it, then moved her and it to the floor. Sometimes she will also stay asleep if I put her in her car seat with blankets kind of holding her tightly in place. :-)
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 6:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son was this way.. 20 minutes naps.. even as an infant.. have you tried letting him nap in his swing? I did that for a while... what about white noise for nap time like a fan or music machine? that could help.. what about a tighter wrap? or you could wear him.. at least he sleeps all night in his crib.. my son is 3 and still fights me on sleeping.. ugh..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• What do you do differently to put him to sleep at night than when you put him down for a nap? Maybe if you have the same routine he will know, 'ok, it is time to go to sleep' then maybe he will sleep better and NOT in your arms. For us, I would swaddle my son only when I wanted him to sleep and that worked SO well. All I did for routine was turn on his music and swaddle him and he would go right to sleep. Once he outgrew his swaddle blanket I would sit in his room and read him a story before nap, even when he was very little. I also made sure he was on a good schedule with sleep, I would wake him from naps at certain times and put him to sleep at the same time every single day. He took two, 2 hour naps a day for the longest time. Then down to one. Routine was crucial for us.
    Blakesmommy0907

Answer by Blakesmommy0907 at 6:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Some babies just don't nap very long. But use the same routine you use at nighttime and put him down. Be super consistent. Hopefully he will extend his naps. Also try not going in immediately when he wakes. He might go back to sleep.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Get a sling or wrap. Some babies just take short naps, though. *shrug*
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have tried to put him everwhere to sleep, his crib, his swing, his bouncy seat, carseat, my bed.....still wont really take a long enough nap...I have tried a carrier but the problem there is he is nearly 17 lbs and hard to wear too long. I know it wont last forever but I was hoping there was something I could do to correct this problem now.
    ErinT

Comment by ErinT (original poster) at 6:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son was the same. I used to sit in the same place for 3 hours just so I could get some peace! LOL! I would also suggest a wrap and walk around with him. He obviously needs to smell you n feel you and he's not ready to sleep on his own. Some babies are more needy than others. Everyone's different.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It is important to break this habbit before he gets any older here is an article 5 Simple ways To Settle a Newborn Baby

I hope you find it helpful

shirl16

Answer by shirl16 at 7:59 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Getting him to sleep is not an issue.... staying asleep is.
    ErinT

Comment by ErinT (original poster) at 8:08 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Before you put him down lay one of your shirts that has your scent on it still not a clean shirt a used one and then put him on top of it that way he can think that your still there and cover him up tuck in the blanket on his sides like real tight so it could feel like your holding him still i use to do this with my daugther cus she was the same exact way but now she grew out of doing that i hope this helps .Good Luck .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 1:05 AM on Feb. 16, 2011