I'm 40 and never been to college. Now I'm thinking about going

Not sure what I'd be interested in though. Any suggestions on how to start and what to take??

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 6:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in

• Maybe go talk to the college you're interested in going to, speaking to a counselor could help you narrow it down and give you ideas to what you wanna do and you're capable of doing w/ your schedule.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Ps good luck :)
    genagina

• decide what interest you most. Check out colleges in your area. You can also take courses online!
    princesschilly

Answer by princesschilly at 6:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I'd go to the websites of whatever colleges you live close to and see if anything they offer interests you. After going through their online catalog you might get an idea of what you'd like to check out. Even if you don't know what direction you want to go in the first few semesters are basic education anyway. You can always start and then decide what you really like. Some unemployment offices offer a Career Program test so you can see what field you might do well in. In the olden days they called them aptitude tests to see what you'd be good at.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• good luckp.s. my dd is 35 and just starting college. She was terrified but is slowly easing in to the semester. They stagger classes now and she started out with two classes online this semester and will add the other two classes in March. For those she will attend the campus class. She's building her confidence.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Go! Enjoy ~ there are so many subjects and tipping your toe in the water will lead you to new and interesting avenues in your life.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There are career assesment inventories you can take to help you learn what kind of career you would be good at. You can go to the school career counseling office or look at books about this in a library or good bookstore. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I am 45 and looking into going to college next year if I can get enough grants & scholarships to pay for it. I am thinking about starting at my local community college. The online schools are expensive. University of Phoenix was $22,000.00 a yr. and they bugged the hell out of me. Constantly calling morning, noon & night!!! Even though I told them I was not planning on attending until next year & they were trying to push me into getting a student loan. Said if I was serious about going to school I would take out loans in order to go. You should research careers you are interested in and see what kind of schooling you need. Good Luck!
    sarchasmicangel

Answer by sarchasmicangel at 8:35 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I will give you the same advice I would give a 17 year old. If you don't know why you are going then you shouldn't be there. Get a copy of "What Color Is My Parachute" or something similar and find out where you interests are before investing your time and money. You might even be able to get a job that will pay for you to further your education. But you need some sort of direction. Most 40 year olds have enough life experience to get out of at least some of the general ed courses which is what you will end up taking if you don't have a major/goal. So do start with an interest inventory and find something you are passionate about.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:34 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I'm 44 and going back next year. I am lucking enough to have our Community College tucked in my neighborhood. I was a student there 18 years ago and now me and my 18 year old son will be students together! LOL...
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 10:44 AM on Feb. 15, 2011