Secrets to a happy marriage? Do the dishes, put out, dont' talk so much ...

Hey, don't kill the messenger, I'm just relaying what I read online WSJ ~

http://blogs.wsj.com/ideas-market/2011/02/14/the-secret-to-a-happy-marriage-do-the-dishes-put-out-don%e2%80%99t-talk-so-much/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 6:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• The secret to a happy marriage is when a man learns to say "yes dear, you're right dear".

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• How about secrets for a happy wife, first. Don't pressure me for sex. Pressure and saying things like you owe me or you aren't a good wife cause you won't have sex right now is a HUGE turnoff. Don't say after dinner, at least it was different. Don't say why don't you ever make him take a nap? Or why do the kids only act bad for you just to turn around and complain about them when you watch them.
    Anonymous

• I've seen some absolutely ridiculous lists of expectations that women have of themselves...

Take a look in the mirror an hour before your husband comes home to ensure that you are presentable. An hour allows ample time to hop into the shower if need be.

Go light on the perfume, but use great smelling soaps, shampoo, and antiperspirant so he'll want to snuggle up for the evening.

If you wear makeup, put a little on before he walks in. Your goal is to look happy and radiant--not done up.

Dress in feminine clothing. Men are attracted to women, not fashion, so do your best to wear styles, fabrics and colors that remind him you're a woman and not another one of the guys. Dress as well for him as you would for new friends.

misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Have all chores done before he walks in the door, and try to have things like the dishwasher and vacuum turned off.
    Put aside your problems and be cheerful when he walks in the door.
    Make your bed every morning so he has a comfortable place to rest at night or upon returning from work.
    Ensure that the television and stereos are turned off so that the house is peaceful.
    If the kids are excited about something, encourage them to wait about 15 minutes before they share their news.
    Prepare dinner before he arrives. There’s nothing quite like the smell of home cooking when you walk in the door—especially when you’re cooking the food he likes.
    misses_nick

• Have the pots and pans washed ahead of time so that the kitchen is every bit as presentable as the meal.
    If you have problems to deal with, wait until after dinner to spring it on him. Husbands are happier when their tummies are full.
    Greet him at the door with open arms, a kiss, and a warm embrace.
    Make an effort to look at him when he is speaking so that he has your full attention.
    Close the computer if you’re on it, and if you’re chatting on the phone try to end the conversation and call her back later.
    misses_nick

• Have the children tidy up the front entrance when they arrive from school. Backpacks, jackets and gym bags make for an untidy greeting.
    Do your best to have the house clean and organized at all times. He is working hard outside the home and needs home to be his haven of rest.
    Don’t be angry if he’s working late, instead show appreciation for long hours put in.
    Have the kids wash their faces, and change their clothing if they are soiled from play before Daddy comes home.
    Don’t nag him or try to reshape his bad habits. Work on your own and practice acceptance at all times.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It is imperative that you defend your husband to your children and that they respect him at all times. Never allow them to grumble or complain about him whether he’s present or not.
    Don’t compare him to other women’s husbands or to your father when it comes to your definition of a man. Love and respect go a lot farther than criticism ever will.

Those are all things that were posted as comments on my blog when I asked what women should do to show their love for their husbands. Some are...
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• O.O Really? I thought we'd moved on from the '50's. That sounds like a list my bigoted father would make.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You forgot.. Loss weight. and scheme. I think you have to learn how to put up with your spouses flaws.

Answer by louise2 at 6:22 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Before you judge the list of things misses nick sent through, imagine how much nicer it would be to come home to a few of them done for you. I don't think it's asking too much to make sure that dinner is cooking before he comes home or give your husband your attention when you are having a conversation with him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 6:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011