When a young child, 5 and under, gets out of a house b/c a parent is not paying attention

or is sleeping, or whatever the reason may be, do you feel this is an accident, or neglect? And by out of the house I mean outside, underclothed, in the street, possibly in danger
If it's an accident how many times do you feel it can happen before it becomes neglect?
This didn't happen to me just curious.

genagina

Asked by genagina at 6:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think its sick when I see parents allow there kids so young outside without a parent to watch over them. I wonder if most of the crying parents you see on TV arent those lazy parents. Sorry but we live a sad world. And our children our more special then all the gold in this world. So you best watch what you have made.

I think every parent is going to make mistakes and mistakes happen, so if its the first time its a total accdient. If its a 2nd after the proventions been put in place its still a mistake. However if nothing is done to stop this, then bad parenting.
    whoreallycares

Answer by whoreallycares at 5:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• i call it neglect. i know my child's every move
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think a lot would depend on what the parent(s) where doing at the time. Getting high or drunk= neglect. Child woke up early while parent was still sleeping= accident.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i have an escape artist son. the first time i left him in the fenced in back yard while i cooked dinner and watched through the window...he got out. his older brother went out and left the fence open. he crawled (wasn't even walking yet) to my neigbors porch. that was 2 years ago. last year he could unlock all locks and open all the doors. he got out twice and ran up the road. he is now old enough to understand that he can't go on the road. it can be very hard if you have an adventurous child. i don't think that anyone that knows us would ever suggest that i am a neglectful parent. kids move quick. i thank god every day that my kids are safe and healthy. i could never pass judgement on someone with out knowing all of the circumstances.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Each situation is different. There are many cases like this that happen because the parents are simply lazy or neglectful. But I would never assume that. There are many cases where that's not the situation at all. Parents simply can not be connected to their children 24/7 and from time to time children will do things - like let themselves out - that they should not. Now, if we have a case where children have been gone for hours and no one even notices, I would say start looking at them for neglect of some kind. But mom sometimes shit happens - Mom has to shower or deal with siblings and kids open doors they shouldn't, it doesn't make mom a bad mom, it just makes her human.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My son got out twice as a toddler, once while I was peeing, and by the time I got my pants up (didn't even wipe) and ran outside he was literally halfway down the street, butt naked. That boy can still move! The second was a few months later, I was in the shower and I didn't hear the door this time. Luckily we lived in an apartment and he was just in the hallway, but it was TERRIFYING to get out of the shower, see his baby gate knocked over (which had been keeping him in his room until this point) and no child anywhere. My front door was locked both times but he was able to unlock the deadbolt already. I would never pass judgement on someone else until I knew the circumstances. IMO if you're napping because you're hung over and they get out, not excusable. If you're crapping on the toilet and suddenly the front door slams, that's an accident. Luckily my child was never harmed and always found quickly
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• good points here and good question to make u think
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:59 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• it depends on the situation, some kids sneak out and the parents are busy with other things at the time such as cleaning cooking or tending to another child, or even sleeping such as a person who is ill. but if your child can reach the handle of the door i would make sure to have child safety locks which really only work until a child reaches age three, from there i would get a dead bolt way up high on the door so even if they move a chair they still cant reach it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 8:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It only takes a moment for a child to get into mischief!

When my dd was 2 she went outside without my knowledge while I just ran downstairs to grab the laundry.  I explained to her that she wasn't to go outside without asking me first.  A few days later she did the same thing again so I called my dh at work, he bought a door chain on the way home from work and fitted it that night, well out of her reach.  She never did it again.  

My point is, my dd wasn't neglected but it still happened.  When we realised that it could become a recurring problem, we took steps to eliminate the problem altogether.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I did this a lot when I was little. My mom had to work, and my father would just leave us, or he'd get high or drunk or have friends over. More than once my mother came home to find me gone, from the time I could WALK! I'd wander about a block down the alley behind our house. There was a house with a swingset, and my mom would find me there just about every time.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 6:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2011