If God exists for YOU, he HAS to exist...period?

Whatever happened to the idea that we all have the freedom to believe as our heart dictates us too?
I don't believe in the idea of "god"....others DO believe in a god. Sooo, because others DO believe in him, that means he does INDEED exist?

Well my DD believes in Santa....does that make him real?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 6:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Again, though, I don't believe that Christianity is for everyone to begin with, so I'm not saying I believe in converting others, I'm just making the point that the way we present ourselves and our faith determines how others see and relate to it. Usually it has more to do with people disliking Christianity than the religion itself. Which is evident in the respect shown for Christians who are respectful and considerate and the offense felt at the responses of those who are less so. Not that I'm saying that everyone would (or should) convert to Christianity if we were to all better embody the principles of Christ (love, compassion), if we were all nicer, but people would probably have a better perception of Christians and our religion if we were to actually walk the walk instead of just running our mouths all the time (talking the "talk", lol).
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• You are free to believe anything you like. I just don't like it when someone who doesn't believe starts in telling us we are "blind", "stupid", "sheep", and my personal favorite "brainwashed", cause we DO believe. If you don't want to, that's your business, I won't tell you you are going to hell for not believing, and you don't have to tell me I'm a "holy roller" for believing.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• god exists wether you believe in him or not.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Just proof that a specific person feels better thinking that an invisible man in the sky cares about them. That's it.

Just to clarify- my God is not an invisible man in the sky- He is not a man, He does not dwell in the sky and He is not invisible to me- He does care about me so you are 1 for 4.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:05 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It would be more truthful to say "I don't want to know God".

Do you give this much respect to gods you do not believe in? Do you say I do not believe in Odin or do you say you do not want to know Odin? Just curious if you do the same for others faith as you say everyone should do for you.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I believe in a loving God who dwells in Heaven. He loves his children.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 6:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He exists to YOU...he does not exist to me. It can be both ways...I can be right within what I believe and you can be right within what you believe. It was said somewhere else that it can't be both ways.

And there is the beauty of God- he does not go away simply because someone does not believe in him- no one should feel threatened because this Mom does not believe in God-she is content in her belief and she is not a threat to God- live and let live ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 7:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No one knows, that's the only knowable truth. =) I have faith in my idea of god, but that doesn't mean I'm right. An atheist believes in no god/s, but that doesn't mean they're right. I don't understand people who speak in absolutes regarding faith and religion...on both sides.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 7:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He exists to YOU...he does not exist to me. It can be both ways

This is a foolish notion ... you can't have your cake and eat it too ... your belief that God doesn't exist no more makes Him not there, than my belief in His existence makes Him there. God simply is ... you can either affirm Him or deny Him, but you can't make Him exist or not.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Lord have mercy! I have been having this exact same debate on another site. God is real and He is knowable. John 17:3--And this is life eternal, that they might KNOW you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. We not only have the testimony of the Scriptures to tell us this, but we have the testimony of multitudes of Christians who know the Lord personally. But I'm not ALLOWED to quote Bible text because that is "circular reasoning". What ticks me off is being told that because I believe in God, then I must also believe in the tooth fairy, pink unicorns, bigfoot, santa, oh..my favorite--the flying spaghetti monster. Come on! That "logic" is weak and infantile. If you don't want to believe, that's fine. It would be more truthful to say "I don't want to know God". At least then we could all just move on.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:31 AM on Feb. 15, 2011