Is your family budget prepared for higher clothing prices?

Retailers and clothing makers cut frills and experimented with fabric blends to cut prices during the recession. But as the world economy recovers and demand for goods rises, a surge in labor and raw materials costs is squeezing retailers and manufacturers who have run out of ways to pare costs.

Cotton has more than doubled in price over the past year, hitting all-time highs. The price of other synthetic fabrics has jumped roughly 50 percent as demand for alternatives and blends has risen.

Clothing prices are expected to rise about 10 percent in coming months, with the biggest increases coming in the second half of the year, said Burt Flickinger III president of Strategic Resource Group.

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Stores that cater to low- and middle-income shoppers will have the hardest time passing along price increases.

"We have been so used to deflation for years and years," said David Bassuk, managing director in the retail practice of AlixPartners. "Customers are going to be surprised."

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes, I don't have a set budget, we just buy wisely.

Answer by older at 7:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I did notice that the cost of clothing went up. I was going to buy a shirt at a store and instead of the price on the tag, there was a sticker with a higher price. I guess they weren't trying to hide the old price.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 7:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't like the thought of cotton going up, since in my family we never wear blends except for winter coats and such. My youngest breaks out from anything that is not 100% cotton. But, we could get by with fewer clothes than we have now. I would have to wash more often.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I never buy clothes to be honest. I got a ton of new clothing for Christmas, and will get more from my birthday in April. My parents like to buy me gifts and clothes is what I like. My children get tons of clothing on Birthdays and Christmas too. We are fortunate for that actually, for yeah, clothes aren't cheap. If I do buy clothes, I wait for tax time, or use any birthday or holiday money we may get as well. Honestly, it's not in our monthly budget.

Anonymous

• This is called raised prices due to Obamas policies. Then we see inflation taking hold whether the government wants to admit it or not. Luckily I don't do much clothing shopping for myself and the kids are not young anymore and have their own tastes so I don't buy for them. Now food and gas is another story. We will be ok for some time but what about the people who live paycheck to paycheck or those who don't have a job?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• . I was going to buy a shirt at a store and instead of the price on the tag, there was a sticker with a higher price. I guess they weren't trying to hide the old price.

Yea,... I noticed an increase like that, too... My hubby is tall and can only find Levi's long enough... I usually buy them for 29.99  They were $33.99... 

grlygrlz2

Comment by grlygrlz2 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I buy mostly 2nd hand/clearance

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We always shop at outlets and on sale with coupons. So, even if prices go up, I think we'll still manage to stay in the black! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I hardly ever buy clothes....i get hand me downs for the kids. I buy myself clothes once in a blue moon but it must be discounted before I buy it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:16 PM on Feb. 14, 2011