My son left for Ft. Leonard Wood. How long is it before they can actually write and give address to write backThanks

My son left four days ago. I have not heard from him since he arrived at the St. Louis airport. I am waiting for a call or a letter with an address.......what is the norm for this?
Thanks

sunshinercc45

Asked by sunshinercc45 at 10:33 PM on Nov. 17, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• my brother and sister in law just left a few weeks ago for basic. they called to let us know thay got to reception and then depending p how long they are there until they get out of reception they can write and let you know an adress thats how it is for the national gaurd
    hunters_mom820

Answer by hunters_mom820 at 10:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• Well they usually get to call to say they made it there and I believe it will take a week or two for them to get a address to give to their families. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

• My husband's brother is in the air force, they wouldn't let him write any letters until he was done with basic, the only letter he got was snuck out and mailed (I don't know how), but it was apparently very depressing.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 12:57 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• my son just joined. i think he is delusional from playing so many war games. i think he really thinks it just like metal gear solid. you just get up and go at it again...I have a friend that said her son was in the marines, when he arrived at basics he was allowed 1 call to let them know that he was there. he managed to sneek a call in on a cell phone. He was extremely upset, begging to come home. I really did not need to hear that. I think (hope) it like being pregnaunt...you know the old wives tales that scare you to death and there is nothing you can do about it because your already prego..but in reality it was ALL just a bunch of horse poop. I HOPE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:48 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• My son went there also. It seems like it takes forever for them to notify you., He was allowed to call when he got there and say, "Hey, I got here." That was it.
    Seems like it was about the third or fourth week when we got a letter and it was depressing. He hated it and wanted out.
    When he does right, tell him it will get better!!
    Advise: Do not send anything to him until you get permission. I sent snacks and they made him throw it all out. Also, there are many thieves in basic. Do not let him have anything valuable.
    emptynestmom456

Answer by emptynestmom456 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• It can take up to four weeks+ because they go through reception and then are assigned a barracks. Then they get an address. Do not send anything but letters and make those as positive as possible. My son wanted out, hated it, and what not. He just graduated and is glad he hung in there and is headed to Air Borne. It does get better for them. But tell him NOT to try to sneak anything--be a cell phone or food---he will get in trouble--from losing any privileges to getting "smoked". (A LOT of physical extras.) AND he could get the whole group in trouble. But be patient because he won't have an address for a few weeks.
    Anonymous

• My son finished basic for the Air Force 3 weeks ago. He finally made one phone call a week later and gave us his mailing address. Home sick was the worse for him the first two weeks. After that he said time flew by so fast.

It will also depend on your sons Drill Intstructor. They can make it easy on them or hard. Your son will pay the price for everyone else's mistakes (they are punished as a group) and vice versa. He'll do great. If he didn't make it there then you would have been notified.

Best wishes to your son.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:09 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• i went through that. it usually takes a while, but in bootcamp they have so much to learn, then theyare expected or told to write home so we know they are ok.
    confused193

Answer by confused193 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2008

• hi my sister in law is at fort lost in the woods right now dont worry with in a few days like a week or two you will get his address. my sister in law let on the 19th of aug and by sep 3 we got a letter from the commander. you should get a letter from Xavier cummings he will tell you your son's graduation date and everything you will also get a map of the base for graduation if your going. remember soldiers look forward to mail. dont expect him to call much while in red phase.

God Bless your son for his duties you the United States
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 4:37 PM on Nov. 20, 2008

• Oh ya he will be home also the 19th of dec till jan 02 2009 for xmass break unless if you dont want him home or he cant afford the plain ticket thats when my sister in law gets to come home.
    dewey_scoles

Answer by dewey_scoles at 4:39 PM on Nov. 20, 2008