I heard that Obama is recommending cutting Pell Grants for summer programs and cutting heat assistance.

I am confused. This is not where I would think things should be cut.

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 8:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think a better place to start the cuts is the salaries and benefits of our government officials.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I am confused. This is not where I would think things should be cut.

***
    LMAO
    are you kidding me?
    Let me repeat what I said earlier today:
    When the real cuts take effect, alot of people will realize they were more dependent on the government than they thought they were.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• When the real cuts take effect, alot of people will realize they were more dependent on the government than they thought they were.

YYYYYUP! Time to cut the umbilical cord people..... The Gov't is B R O K E!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Seriously, I think those are just in there to make him look like he is realizing we have to cut the hard stuff.
    Do you actually think the Dems would let that pass?
    Seems a bit strange that he just got through giving out more Pell grants and now he says he wants to cut them?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• LOL lovin! My temp right now is 63 and YES I am wearing a sweater!

You know I just have to wonder if there will actually be a mass extinction when the big cuts come. I can almost see people dropping like flies because they don't know how to support themselves. I am only half joking.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I agree with JewJewBee - when the necessary cuts are made, people will see just how dependent on government they are. Make yourself as independent from government has possible now, so that when the hard times REALLY hit, you won't be hurting as much (if at all).
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It's more reallocating than cutting, but it's still ignorant. To pay for an increase in federal grants during Fall and Spring, he wants to cut Summer Grants.

Look at the math - your typical state school has a financial aid cap for upperclassmen of $18-22k per year, depending on where they're located. That means total grants, loans, scholarships can not exceed that amount. Most people, unless they live at home with mom and dad rent free, take the majority of that $18-22k between the two semesters in all 3 forms. Those who don't typically only have a few thousand left for summer. Now instead of giving everyone (rounding) $2500 in fall and $2500 in spring, and only giving another $1500 in summer to the few who qualify, he wants to give $3500 to everyone in fall and spring. They'll still use $18-22k, they'll just take less in loans.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I don't think they should CUT heat assistance all together, but I think they should cap it and show people how to conserve heat. My house is set at sixty in the winter and 85 in the summer. The neighbor across the way has heating assistance and keeps their house cooler in the summer (72) and warmer in the winter (78).

My mother does the same thing. It makes me mad. While I don't think anyone should freeze to death, I think someone ought to tell the collective to put on a sweater.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Every cut that has been proposed has pissed off somebody, just where will the cuts come from if we don't touch any pogram cause "somebody" doesn't want to lose their share?
    Lots of the cuts are not what I personally would want to see but I know that the $$ just isn't there to fund everything we want and need.
    We have had to make several cuts in our budget to keep the money flow positive, that's just the reality of the current economic times, government is no different.
    emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 11:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• cut heat assistance and in the hotter states people die....yeah real smart President Obama.... unless that is what the plan is? hmmm .. just sayin
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011