Community College Curriculum Internationalization

Many community colleges are putting more emphasis on curriculum internationalization by hosting more exchange students and providing students with more education of world regions and cultures. Do you think this is a good thing or a waste of resources? Why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Of course it's a good thing. The longer the precious little snowflakes stay in their little bubbles, the less able they are to survive in the big bad real world. Understanding their place in it is a part of that (for example, look at all the questions from people with absolutely no clue about why what's going on in Egypt matters - apparently THEY could've used a little education in world regions and cultures)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• boosting international student enrollment, etc? What does this do for domestic students in highly competitive programs?  Who is funding an "internationalization' program in a public school"? Especially when there are major cutbacks in public funding within community colleges.... hrmmmm.. I am all about competitiveness....  But if it comes at a cost of using public monies to fund internationalization?  No.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Boosting international enrollment means more out of state tuition coming into the school plus all their other living expenses into the community. And there's not exactly a lot of "competitive programs" in community college. Nursing - but there are also dozens of community colleges with nursing programs. Let's face it - comm college isn't exactly exclusive.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It's good- it's a very global world now.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• And there's not exactly a lot of "competitive programs" in community college.

Actually, I know of 2 community college with competitive Architectural technology programs as well as business programs... competitive in their bachelor transfer programs, that is.. Associates Degrees? Not so much..

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I am all for students learning about other regions and cultures. I am not for taxpayers subsidizing college educations for foreigners though. IMO, they should also include religions. If people knew more about the faiths of the world and how it affects world politics they would be much better off.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• THIS>>> answer by YSK, "I am not for taxpayers subsidizing college educations for foreigners though."

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• How can learning ever be a bad thing? I was required to take an art/humanities class and college algebra even though I know I'll never need to know the pythagorean theorem or that the medium of tempera paint is egg yolk. I would have rather learned about other regions and cultures. Seems more useful.
    Astraea_79

Answer by Astraea_79 at 1:20 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• community college? The big Universities, sure, but community college... thats hard enough to get into for the locals as it is without adding more people to fill up the classes. The local people would be getting screwed out of attending classes because it filled up so fast.

Not true here at our closest community college.I have never heard of anyone being turned away. Even the University of Houston tells their students to take basics at a nearby community(we have several) because there is no difference in quality of what's taught, only the cost. It saves everyone money. My son has done this for 3 yrs now. My daughter attends that same Jr college. They have wonderful allied health programs and and an award winning RN program.

As for the international curriculum they only have it for certain degrees. Nothing special and I don't think there is an abundance of students transferred by the school.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I have never heard of anyone being turned away.

There is no such thing as a full class at our local comm college. (and while it's a local campus, it's actually a statewide network of a dozen schools) If a class gets too big for a room, they open a new section online. They'll put 100+ people in a single online section if they want, or split them up any way the instructors choose. The only exception is the actual nursing program. Anyone can walk in and register for the introductory classes, but you can't be accepted to the actual nursing program without a 4.0, and that has nothing to do with International students - it's local students fighting for those spots, and the majority fail to get the GPA they need regardless of how much competition they have.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:48 PM on Feb. 15, 2011