Kids and religion...?

I was raised Seventh-Day-Adventist. I don't go to church anymore. My MIL is Jehova's Witness. I don't agree with their teachings (no offense to anyone). My MIL always wants my daughter to go to studies every monday. I'm starting to get annoyed. I've tried to tell my hubby. He just doesn't want to be bothered.
What would you do?

TwilightMack

Asked by TwilightMack at 9:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's your right to choose what kind of religious beliefs your child will grow up with, not your MIL's. My family is Irish and Italian so my maternal and paternal grandparents are very Catholic, even went to parochial schools for their entire educations and even though both my parents were raised Catholic my brother and I went to church maybe half a dozen times in our lives. We were baptised, my brother had his first communion but that was all. My parents raised us to believe in God and Heaven but we didn't go to church or Sunday school. I think it's unfair that your husband is laying this burden on you, after all its his mother that is pestering you and his child too.

momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I would just kindly say I don't believe the same things as you, and although I respect your religion, I don't feel I want my daughter to learn it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 9:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Bothered! He needs to back you up. Tell him it makes you feel bad that he won't stand up for you. He doesn't have to be mean to his mom, just explain that you two are raising her and that isn't what you want. If she doesn't understand, she will just have to live with it. If he talks, she may listen. Sorry you have to go through this.
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Well if DH doesn't want ot get involved then don't force him. However you do need to be blunt and to the point. This is your child not hers and you will not force your child into a religious belief system you don't entirely agree with. "No she cannot go to Monday studies because I don't want her to go." If she pushes for an explanation be honest. Don't tip toe around the issue.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:50 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I agree with the previous posters. You need to stand up for what you believe. You can say it with love and then it's on her. If she does keep pushing you then I would suggest distancing yourself for a while. I'm sorry your DH isn't helping. I fully agree that it is his mom and as your husband he needs to stand up for you. Maybe she'll listen to him.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 9:38 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I would tell her how I felt. Id say although I respect you having your own beliefs, we have ours and until my child is old enough to ask...they wont be attending with you or anyone else.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Wow. Thank you all so much for your support on this matter. You all had very good ideas and now I feel that I have a better grip on the situation. Thanks again, ladies! :)
    TwilightMack

Comment by TwilightMack (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Remind the pushy (expletive deleted!) that YOU are the parent to your child...NOT her. And that you will make the decisions you deem necessary for her and which you consider to be in her best interests. She can back off or she can stop seeing her grandchild! Her choice. You'll need to be strong. The J.W.s have a difficult time understanding the meaning of the word "NO".
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011