They called the cops!

My 18 month old son all of a sudden has a major problem with bedtime. We have a strict pre-bedtime routine so it's not like he doesn't know it's coming. We clean up his toys, he gets in the bathtub and we wash up and he gets to play, we put on our jammies and have a snack, then we brush his teeth, read a story and tuck him in. He's always gone right to sleep but the last two weeks he will just scream from 9 when we put him down until 12 at night! It gets so bad he'll stop breathing for a few seconds. One night it got so loud and so horse that the people in the apartment below us called the police because they thought we had him held up against a heater or something! Everything checked out and we're not being investigated, thank god and I hold no hostility against my neighbors for being concerned. But how do I get him to stop? What else can we do?

MamaStuart

Asked by MamaStuart at 9:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a little one act similar. Is something different about his closet? You can see through our closet doors. I had hung a suit of my husband's in his closet and this scared the little guy. I felt miserable when we realized what was causing the issue.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Three hours straight is not a healthy way to go about crying it out. I am sorry if you disagree with me. Have you told your doctor it is 3 hours at a time?
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I have no idea, but that sounds like a horrible thing to have to deal with. At least you know your neighbors are looking out for his safety! You might want to say Hi and mention what's going on just in case... you want them to know he's really ok!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 9:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Idk. I never, ever let my kids cry like that for so long. Obviously there's something going on for him to be doing this. He's only 18 months, he might not be able to tell you that something's bothering him. Did you try asking him why he doesn't want to go to bed? Even now, my 8 yr old will come ask me to stay in bed with her for a little bit while she falls asleep, just because she needs a little reassurance now and then. Maybe he just wants to know you are there for him.
    Anonymous

• I understand your frustration. I recently let my 16 month old CIO in the middle of the night, it was about an hour. My older son, we tried 3x to take his bottle and no joke, he threw a fit for his entire 2 hours of nap 4 days in a row each time, so needless to say he still gets the damn bottle. I would try to rub his back. Or comfort him in some way. Did you change his bed, like move him from the crib to a toddler bed or bigger bed? IDK, or ask your doctor. I would think after an hour they would be exhasuted. But what do I know.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• 18 mos is young to cry for 3 hrs in my opinion. I would rock the baby. Also, maybe visit the pedi. Ds has ear infections and he will not sleep when he has one.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• it could be a medical problem or just a faze but i would call the doc and see what they say... but my son would do that when he's not feeling well and keep us up all night on and off but he will now tell us what is wrong and what hurts if anything... but i would talk to a doctor about this if it's been going on for 2 weeks... GL hun i hope everything is okay.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 9:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• You let him cry for 3 hours? You should have the cops come. Shame on you.
    Anonymous

• You do not let a child cry it out for 3 hours.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• He could have an ear infection!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2011