Treating ADD without medication?

My son is 5, and is likely going to be formally diagnosed with ADD in the next few weeks. He is not hyperactive, he just has a lot of trouble focusing and transitioning, so much so that it effects our day-to-day life, as well as his schoolwork.
My husband is very against medication, as he does not want our boy to be dependent on it all of his life, and I'm looking for other natural remedies and techniques to try to help him. So, what works?

sojourner.

Asked by sojourner. at 9:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

• what works is individual , keep researching and self educating . My son needs meds , for various reasons , not all kids will.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I had issues staying focused growing up, but never took medication. See if he can sit in the FRONT of the classroom, where he's less likely to be distracted by other students. As a teen, I wrote everything down and to this day, make lots of check lists and like a schedule. Would a chart or checklist be helpful to him? Would his pediatrican be able to refer him to a bahavioral therapist that can help him with learning tools so you can keep meds as a last resort? Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• What works is different for different kids. You can try some trial and error, but keep in mind that not everything will help, and some things take a long time to start working. A great place to start could be Magnesium with B6 (to absorb the magnesium) and DMG. Some kids will have great results with DMG and some will do well with TMG. Flaxseed can also help sometimes. I think it is a great idea to try some of the more natural treatments before going for drugs.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My grandson is borderline ADD. My son is a special ed teacher. He is absolutely amazing the way he brings his son back into focus. He keeps his voice level and pays close attention to his son. He will respond to his actions and statements, but at the same time say things that will bring him back to his actiity. They were doing a project for science last night. They had to make a simple machine that was usable as a musical instrument.
    Most parents would have just done it for the kid. My son allowed my grandson to do it by himself only helping when he needed extra hands. He let my grandson figure it out himself, by asking questions that caused him to think through the activity and come up with good answers. I am so impressed with my son's parenting.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• My grandson kept getting sidetracked. And my son would refocus him and bring him back. Never getting impatient, angry or just taking charge.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:46 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• First, your child will not be dependent on medicaion all his life. My son took his ADD meds for 4 years and now he is off of them because he learned how to live with his ADD. But the 4 years he was on his meds, he had behavioral counseling, increased his self esteem and got his grades up from D's and F's to A's and B's. What works for one child may not work for another.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• there are several different types of diets that you can try. theres a group on here that has very good info its for moms with kids who are add/adhd. i would post the link but i am on my cell. my son probably has adhd, he will not be on meds eather, and we very try to make sure he gets no sugar, but if anyone saw him at home, they woud think thats all he eats!!! lol good luck with finding something that work with your son and your lifestyle.
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Read some of the comments in this article there are some helpful information you might want to try.  GL

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• There are many therapists who work with people who have ADD/ADHD; they teach them not just coping skills, but how to use ADD/ADHD as an advantage in their lives. Thom Hartmann has written extensively on this topic; you should be able to find his books art your local library, there is lots of information at his website: http://www.thomhartmann.com/category/thom/adhd-education/.
    You may also want to explore how foods affect behavior, either from the Feingold Organization (www.feingold.org ) or another source. We eat a "clean" diet; no processed foods, no chemical additives, no meat, very little dairy
    My daughter's attention issues were helped dramatically by fish oil supplements (though we have since switched her to hemp oil). It is important to use a good brand, like Nordic Naturals; it takes about 8 weeks to become effective. We recently discovered that magnesium supplements also help

Answer by rkoloms at 11:09 PM on Feb. 16, 2011

• Gluten free, dairy free, sugar free diet. It's really not difficult to do, just takes planning. There are so many alternatives available now it's worth a try.
    www.glutenfreegirl.com
    www.childrenshealthstudy.com
    www.welovejuiceplus.com
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:39 PM on Feb. 17, 2011