Help plese

ok so y first daughter who is almost 6 was very smart when she was younger. She new her full name, ABC's, counting to at least 10, where daddy worked, she new mommy and daddys first name, she new all her body parts, she even new how old she was by the age of 2 she even new her basic shapes and colors. The thing is my other daughter she just turned 3 in January and you ask her stuff she doesn't know anything. I try to teach her, but it is like she doesn't want to do it. All she can count to is 3, but that is cause she gets into trouble and I will count to 3. She doesn't know any of these things and you ask her how old she is she will tell you like 4 or 5 or even 6 lol. But I need help in trying to get her to learn this stuff. The thing is I keep thinking should I wait and not put her in kindergarden uintil 6 or just go ahead and put her in when she is 5 so she gets that learning time and then if she doesn't seem ready for 1st grade ask them to hold her back what can I do? What should I do? She doesn't want to learn.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• *please*
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Is she in preschool?
    Anonymous

• Let her be, she will learn it when she is ready. She may know more than you think and just not performing on demand. Keep reading to her, pointing things out, etc. She has plenty of time to learn what she needs to start Kindergarten.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• If she is not in preschool, she needs to be. She will learning is fun and rewarding. She will see that all the other kids do it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no I am trying to get her into a preschool next year. My oldest wasn't either, but she was willing to learn she loved to learn. The thing is I am trying to teach her things now because I thought my oldest was pretty smart, but there was actually a lot she doesn't know she needs to by the end of the school year. They said that by first grade they expect the kids to read and write.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 10:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• In regards to school you could always do 2 years of perschool before kindergarten. My mom did that with all 3 of us just because.

Because she has such a smart older sister she may feel slighty inferior, it's never to early for kids to feel competive or self-conscious. She may even know these things you teach her but because she gives wrong answers she gets more of your time to try and correct her. Or she could be like my son where she just refuses to be a performing monkey!

I totally feel your frustration. As cliche` as it sounds, kids really do develop at their own pace. It's only all of the guidelines and age requirements out there that we put a time frame on our child's abilities.
    LuvMyBabies912

Answer by LuvMyBabies912 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 15, 2011