Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Peanut Allergy Reactions? How long could it take?

My DD just ate a peice of chocolate that has peanuts. We have epipen, but nothing has happened yet. Shes tested very highly allergic to peanuts and most tree nuts. If a reation were to happen, it should have happened already. She ate the chocolate at 9:10. I am posting this 15 minutes after. Am I safe or could she still have a severe reaction? She is 2 and about to go to bed. We usually never have much peanut stuff in the house at all. Buy husband got me some chocolates for V-day. She helped herself to it while I was tending to other daughters. I feel horrible, but she is still fine... WHat you all think?

Answer Question
 
MommyPeck3

Asked by MommyPeck3 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Kids' Health

Level 6 (150 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would watch her for a little longer but it sounds like she will be ok. Peanut allergy reactions are usually instantly. Don't beat yourself up over this.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • All her other allergies she gets a delayed reaction to them with major skin rashes... Still nothing.. She is just acting extremely hyper all the sudden, she has had rice chocolate before.
    MommyPeck3

    Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 9:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • My son has delayed reactions with some of his allegies. Our ped. said to watch closely for 24 hours, because they can still have a reation later. Usually you are safe after 24 hours.
    When my son comes in contact with something we know he has sever reactions to he will sleep with us so we know whats going on. He will weez really bad and I can't sleep either way and its easier to check on him in the same room.

    I would continue to monitor her.
    cassey.e

    Answer by cassey.e at 10:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • I am thinks... It has almost been two hours.
    MommyPeck3

    Comment by MommyPeck3 (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

  • Has she just tested positive to peanuts without prior exposure or did she have exposure to them prior?

    My daughter's first exposure to peanut butter yielded no reaction. Her second - it took about 6 hours from the time she had a few bites of a PBJ to when she was vomiting profusely all over my kitchen floor. I did not connect the two.

    Her third reaction was almost immediate. She ate a PB baking chip, complained her tongue was itching and then proceeded to vomit profusely. Within a half-hour she had thrown up twice and broke out in hives. She was tested the following week

    Her fourth reaction was at a birthday party several years ago. she had pretzels that did not obviously contain peanuts. we later discovered it was from a bag with a "may contains" warning. It took her about an hour to react to the trace amount of peanut protein in them.

    When tested, Meg is a 4+ on a scale of 0-5. She's considered highly allergic.
    ldmrmom

    Answer by ldmrmom at 5:09 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

  • Sorry, ran out of room, This is a day late, so I'm assuming you have your answer now. :) If I think there's a chance my daughter has been exposed to one of her allergens (Peanut, tree nuts, and shellfish) I give her a dose of benadryl then monitor her closely. I also bring it up with her allergist either at our next appointment or via a phone call as soon as I can get in touch with him.
    ldmrmom

    Answer by ldmrmom at 5:11 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.