Do you pretend for your kids?

If you feel terrible do you pretend you don't for your children? Do they know anyway?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Relationships

• Yes, and Yes. I will pretend and she will say you have a sad face or your voice sounds sad. They know.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I try to hide it from my kids but they sometimes still know which amazes me because they're only 6 and 5, its sorta funny last month when my SO and I split up I tried like crazy to hide the pain from my kids. I didn't want them to know I was upset but they knew and I explained to them that he and I broke up, for as big of a pain in the ass as my kids can be they're the sweetest kids in the world when someone is hurting.
    momof2inCT2007

Answer by momof2inCT2007 at 10:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No, I don't. I want my child to know that having emotions and displaying those emotions are ok. It is ok to cry when you are sad or upset. It is ok to be angry, happy, excited, scared. How else are they going to learn how to appropriately handle emotions. It also teaches them empathy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• It depends on the situation. If I am angry about something that has nothing to do with them, then I definitly try to hide it (no need to upset them too). If I am sad, i try to disguise it some, but she always knows so I generally end up explaining (to some extent) why I am sad. Then she always pats me and kisses my head and says, "It's alwite Mommy, it's going to be ok cos I love you." Just like I say to her. She will be a great mom someday.
    BaileysMom476

Answer by BaileysMom476 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I think it depends on the situation and what is going on to really answer that.
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• most of the time i don't. i sometimes make it seem less than it is. but i don't lie to my kids
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• yes , i pretend , and i think they always know more than i think they do.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 11:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I keep going for my children, except when I have a migraine. I can't fake it through those, and my children "take care of me" when I have one :o)
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 3:07 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don't feel it is appropriate to show children our adult feelings. It is emotionally abusive to them as they then feel they are responsible somehow for keeping us happy. If a child asks, Mommy you look sad, what is wrong. The appropriate response would be, oh I just had a bad day. Period. They don't need a parent gut dumping feelings on them.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:42 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• It depends on the situation....If I had a lousy day or have a headache or something then sure I try to keep it to myself and not let them see it. Other stuff like when my grandfather died last year or when I was worried about my father's health recently then yeah they knew I was sad and knew exactly why. I felt they should know and they were very sympathetic and tried to help me the best they could.

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 9:04 AM on Feb. 15, 2011