Sippy cups? how long do you use them?

Ok so i live with my parents still and they are big on using the sippy cups and personally i hate it because it causes mouth decay ... I talked to them about it and the reason they wont let her go to cups is because she spills..what shall i do ?

MissLynne01

Asked by MissLynne01 at 10:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DD stil has my 5 yr. old grson use them,i think he too old.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 10:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• They were totally gone by 2 years old. Even in the car or somewhere I don't want her to spill I have her use one of my water bottles. I got my daughters small plastic cups and put the smallest amount in there. That way if she spilled it was no big deal. The better she got with the cups, the more liquid I put. Kids have to learn sometime and mine really liked using 'big girl cups'.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 10:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• What about the sippy cups that have straws instead of a spout? Or, if they're worried about spilling, Have a no cups off the table rule and have her use a straw there. My 18 month old will drink from an open cup through a straw but we have the "mommy holds the cup" rule.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• those are all so very good of ideas i like the sippy with the straw i thought about that.. but then my next thing is when i child walks around with juice or milk they tend to have weight gain.. i live with my parents and they dont think anything is wrong for a 4 year old to drink out of a sippy cup i rather just drink with meals but i dont know how to get the habit to stop..
    MissLynne01

Comment by MissLynne01 (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• There's nothing wrong with them carrying around a sippy cup or drink as long as you dilute the juice or give them water, brush their teeth every day, and don't put them to bed with the cup. It's not the cup that rots the teeth, it's the sugar that sits on them. After my doctor told me ds shouldn't be using a a sippy cup because of potential decay I mentioned that I dilute his juice, give him water most of the time and brush his teeth every night and he didn't seem too worried. But at four she should be starting with open cups or straw cups. She can't take a sippy cup to school next year. If she takes issue with giving up the sippy cup try to get her excited with a brand new thermos for school with her favorite character on it. :)
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 11:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• aww you are soo right i love that idea.. i will start doing that .. bring her to the store to pick out big girl cups.. and what do you think about capris waters do you really think they are water..???
    MissLynne01

Comment by MissLynne01 (original poster) at 11:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• We used sippy cups until 3, but my kids were only allowed to have them in the car or when we were out somewhere - by 2 they were only allowed to drink at the table out of an open cup. Caprisun Roaring Waters? No, they have sugar AND splenda in them - two things I try to steer away from with my little ones.

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011