How do I straighter up a spoiled 4 year old girl ??

I do not know how to control her... she wants everything her brother or sister play with.. she always wants something from the store, she talks back , she cries if she dont get her way.Ive put her in time out that dont work. Ive spanked her on her bottom doesnt work either. Never had that problem with my others just with her.... HELP!!!!

Sandra B.

Asked by Sandra B. at 10:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• STOP responding to the whining and crying. Tell her FIRMLY that she will NOT get anything at the store and stick to it. When she throws a temper tantrum or takes something from a sibling, remove her from the situation. Put her in time out and tell her that she stays there for 4 minutes, quitly. If she whines,cries, etc, the time starts over until she can stay quiet for 4 minutes. Then talk to her about why her behavior is inappropriate and what she should do instead. If she acts up in a store, LEAVE. Then she doesn't get to go to the store again until she learns to listen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• super nanny would say consistent discipline, redirection, & positive reinforcement
    tortkey

Answer by tortkey at 11:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Go to first 5 they have a coaching program that they design after they have seen the behavior and they use only the techniques that will work with her and with you it takes time but it does work.
    gou18

Answer by gou18 at 12:54 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I know exactly what you are going through...all i can say is be CONSISTENT thats what im tryin..Good Luck
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 2:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• Negative behavior (your child's) requires a negative response (from you). Each parent uses their own descretion as to what that would be. When my son was 2 his sister was born. Once they got older he would take toys from her and I taught him to offer her another toy in exchange. But that child also has a right to refuse the offered toy. I know it's so frustrating and even embarassing at times. I have left the store (cart full of groceries) to "talk" to my child in the car or restroom, then gone back (once I didn't). For the most part children don't like disappointing their parents, so play off on that and be consistent. Kids constantly test boundaries.
    LuvMyBabies912

Answer by LuvMyBabies912 at 2:50 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• And when she expects or wants things, why not make her earn them? Not by just behaving or doing what you tell her, but by helping you with projects, cleaning, or household chores.
    LuvMyBabies912

Answer by LuvMyBabies912 at 2:52 PM on Feb. 15, 2011

• how many times did you try the time outs? what makes you think it 'didn't work' that may just be the way it is for a while.
    if you need to, then cut down on the times you take her to the store.

there has to be a way of punishing her if she keeps grabbing at the toys the other kids are playing with. have you tried taking away privileges? like if the other kids get to watch a DVD but she doesn't?
    Anonymous