If spanking became illegal would YOU still SPANK

?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't spank, so I guess it doesn't really matter. I just believe there are more effective ways to discipline a child.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• i don't spank, because in my experiance it doesn't work. but my husband does once in a long long while, and he probubly would even if it was illegle
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 11:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• yep because nobody but my S/O and I can tell us how to parent our kids. We don't spake often but do when needed.
    red_head_mommy2

Answer by red_head_mommy2 at 11:24 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I never spanked to begin with. I think its awful! All it proves is that your 3ft. taller, 100lbs. heavier than your child and you can beat the crap out of them! Are you proud of that? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying when they were going to touch the stove I didn't slap their hand or when they were about to run into traffic I didn't grab them and pop them on the ass. The difference is when its done out of frustration and anger vs getting their attention, trying to protect them from getting hurt not hurting them yourself.
    linsey1001

Answer by linsey1001 at 11:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• No I would not. The most important rule of discipline is to model good behavior. This comes before mothods of enforcement so I would abide by the law to model good behavior. The truth is that I don't use spanking as a primary method anyway, but I believe it has it's place as a useful tool for enforcing other types of discipline. I would be ticked off by such a law because I have high standards. I think other methods on their own are not as effective without the ultimate method of enforcement to back them up, but I would be willing to conform to a lesser standard of discipline where I only relied on my regular methods if the law said I had to.

potterpeaches

Answer by potterpeaches at 11:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Yes
    Nitestalker

Answer by Nitestalker at 2:10 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• I don'[t believe in spanking as a general rule, but on occasion, it does work. I do believe in following laws, and if it were illegal, I would not do it, because I don't want my child remembering that I broke the law. I don't think that's a good way of raising a law abiding citizen.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 8:27 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• potterpeaches said it way better than I could have ever thought about it saying it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If needed yes I would!
    Momxoxoxo

Answer by Momxoxoxo at 10:40 AM on Feb. 15, 2011

• If the situation warranted it, yes I would. I rarely spank my children, and it has to be a serious reason to do so...
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 11:08 AM on Feb. 15, 2011