Does anyone know about universal sufism ?

it seems like something i might like to try.

CoffeeDurga

Asked by CoffeeDurga at 10:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• sorry never heard of it. what is it?
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 11:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• it has roots in islam but is a universal religion. ill try to get better info and paste it here
    CoffeeDurga

Comment by CoffeeDurga (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I'm sorry I know very little about this faith. I thought it was sort of an amalgam of Eastern faiths, but it seems to have pretty detailed tenets. Sorry I'm not of much help. Is there a Universal Sufism society/temple/organization close to you that you could visit?
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:09 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I know very little about it, but I remember reading that it has its roots in Islam. I think it is a little more mystical. When DH and I were homeless many years ago, a Sufi couple who had never met us let us stay in their apartment for a few weeks while they were out of town. We were working toward saving enough money to get an apartment. I was impressed with their generosity.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• no i dont think so i dont know a whole lot about it just yet
    CoffeeDurga

Comment by CoffeeDurga (original poster) at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• Universal Sufism is a universalist spiritual movement founded by Hazrat Inayat Khan while traveling throughout the West between 1910 and 1926, based on unity of all people and religions and the presence of spiritual guidance in all people, places and things. A form of Sufism, and a branch of the Chishti order, it has its roots in the traditional framework of Islam but does not exist within it[1] and is characterised by respect for other devotional traditions.
    CoffeeDurga

Comment by CoffeeDurga (original poster) at 11:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2011

• I've heard of Sufism, which is a mystical form of Islam, but not Universal Sufism (though it sounds kind of repetitive to me, since my understanding of Sufism led me to believe it was a more tolerant, accepting kind of faith to begin with). Its definitely something I'd like to read more about, though. I have a deep admiration for Islam, and Sufism in general, so it would be interesting to learn more. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:36 AM on Feb. 15, 2011